Any thoughts on the new Shimano CUES gear sets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Some of you may know I’m flirting with swapping out my current 105 set up for a 1x.
Whilst chatting to the LBS on Saturday, the mechanic mentioned that Shimano were bringing out a new interchangeable gear set to eventually fully replace all the sub-105 sets, although they will still be supported for around 8 years so no need to panic yet.
The CUES U6000 or U8000 are available now I believe, and there are some reviews or at least anticipatory articles online.
The (LBS mechanic) did suggest that it may be a cheaper way to convert my bike, as I’d not need to mess about with all the other stuff associated with a full switch to a 1x.
I just wondered if you guys had any opinions on this new system, or are even considering it?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Opinions? On this forum?! You'll be lucky. 😜

I had a quick look on the Shimano site, which can be a bit of an adventure. Seemed to me that CUES is aimed squarely at the flat bar leisure/commuter/e-bike market rather than drop bar road bikes where the 105 lives. I didn't see any brifter options but I could just be wrong and bad at the internet. Maybe it's possible to use a 105 back brifter with a CUES drivetrain. Dunno.

Just eyeballing the front and back rings also suggests that the ratios might be a little low if you're used to the range available on a typical 105.

Despite being a fan of electronic shifting (much more so for SRAM than Shimano, although I've got both) I think Shimano dropping mechanical 105 is a proper mistake, especially as SRAM are electronic only across their road ranges and Campag are ..... are..... does anyone know? Cue (no pun intended) inevitable debate on electronic vs mechanical....

vickster

Legendary Member

I had a quick look on the Shimano site, which can be a bit of an adventure. Seemed to me that CUES is aimed squarely at the flat bar leisure/commuter/e-bike market rather than drop bar road bikes where the 105 lives. I didn't see any brifter options but I could just be wrong and bad at the internet. Maybe it's possible to use a 105 back brifter with a CUES drivetrain. Dunno.

Just eyeballing the front and back rings also suggests that the ratios might be a little low if you're used to the range available on a typical 105.

Despite being a fan of electronic shifting (much more so for SRAM than Shimano, although I've got both) I think Shimano dropping mechanical 105 is a proper mistake, especially as SRAM are electronic only across their road ranges and Campag are ..... are..... does anyone know? Cue (no pun intended) inevitable debate on electronic vs mechanical....

The OP has a Giant flatbar bike with 105 :smile: Brifters not included

Alex321

Veteran

Initially, CUES is for flat bar bikes, but drop bar versions are expected "soon".

Shimano have not dropped 105 Mechanical.

They have just released a 12 speed mechanical version of 105.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano105-mechanical_lp.html

This had been expecetd for several weeks, but was only officially announced last week. Many of the usual sites have already obtained review sets.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Initially, CUES is for flat bar bikes, but drop bar versions are expected "soon".

This had been expecetd for several weeks, but was only officially announced last week. Many of the usual sites have already obtained review sets.

Interesting, but this is just another gear on the current 2x11 isn't it? Not a 1x 105 12sp?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The OP has a Giant flatbar bike with 105 :smile: Brifters not included
Never seen that. What a time to be alive.

That's good. The comms I'd seen implied that 105 mechanical was on its way out.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Had an email quote from the LBS this morning and they are quoting me £305 fitted for the ‘Deore equivalent’ CUES set up, and £400 fitted for the ‘XT equivalent’ set up. I presume they mean the U6000 and U8000 respectively but I’m waiting on clarification.
He knows my bike (extremely well) so I’m assuming that’s everything I’d need to swap over, including shifters etc.
anyway, I’m in no rush as the latest tweaks seem to have sorted most if not all the previous cross chain issues. Rode like a dream today.

Top Bottom