Any thoughts on the On-One Steel 456 EVO?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zenroad

I'm new to On-One. Just started researching their frames. The steel 456 EVO looks like what I'm after. I've read that the bottom bracket is a bit lower than average. True? How much lower? I've read that the seat tube is welded to--not piercing--the top tube. Any issues with this? What about the DN6 double butted 4130 frame material? I'm not familiar with it. "Tough as hell," as they claim? Durable? Anyone out there doing long treks on this frame? Anyone riding it on road?
Thank you!

Cubist

Still wavin'
The claim is that the On One is a bike for ragging about. British trail riding is a sort of genre in its own right, think Whistler rather than day-long epics, technical descents over loose rocky terrain, little respite and short sharp climbs. 456 bikes are so named because they have a geometry which supposedly compliments a 4,5 or 6 inch travel fork, but the Evo is designed more towards the longer travel, so think 6 inch or 160mm travel, with a hugely slack head angle, probably around the 66% mark, which an XC rider would think was like a wheelbarrow. They are ideal for those plunging descents, but the pay-off in having a slack head angle is that it's a pig to climb, unless the bottom bracket is lowered and the seat angle steepened. That's what On One say they have done here, made a slack headed bike with a climbing capability. Many riders choose an adjustable travel fork, like a Talas 100-140, or 130-150, so they can set the travel to low for climbing.

The 456 is bombproof. The steel frames are chromoly steel, which are designed to be robust, not racy. I know a couple of On One riders, one of whom had a Carbon 456, but found it a bit of a dog's breakfast, creaky, and not the best build quality. He swapped it for a Ti frame in the end and is much happier. He runs it with a 140 (5") fork.

If you like the thought of a "hardcore" steel frame, On One are in a world of British competition, and you could have a look at the offerings from Ragley such as the Blue Pig, Piglet, and Troof- again, hooligan hardcore hardtails with 6 inch geometry. Dialled Bikes do the acclaimed Prince Albert and Alpine, Genesis have a beauty in the Lattitude, and here we stray into top grade steel bike territory, using Reynolds 853 tubing. Steel it may be, but it's worlds apart from the One One's chromoly, which is strong and robust, 853 gives a supple, and extremely light for its strength ride quality. Top of the market (and price!) is the Cotic brand, with several hardtails to choose from, my favourite being the Soul, designed for 100mm to 140mm forks, slack but climbable, and astonishingly light at 4.4lbs for a medium frame.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Thank you, Cubist and bromptonfb!
Cubist, you had me at "bombproof." As for the climbing capabilities of the 456, I'm not concerned. Or even its off-road capabilities. Truth is I'm building an expedition bike that will rarely go off-road, and when it does, it's not going to see much more than gravel trails or very tame paths. I'm riding from Florida to California, flying to Japan, and continuing the ride there. My original choice was the American-made Surly Troll. Fantastic bike. Then 48 hours ago, I discovered your On-One stuff, particularly the 456 EVO. What got my attention was the slack head angle, the lowered BB, and the longish chainstays. I like the EVO's geometry. Heavy? NAP (Not A Problem). It'll build character, which I could use! And after two continental divides and the expanse of our Great Plains, I should be one character-filled SOB! I'd never heard of DN6 stuff; I'm glad to hear it's tough stuff. I'm well aware of the better and lighter bikes (the Thorn Raven comes to mind), but as I am but a humble pauper, the EVO will have to carry me forward. Besides, I'm also a Kawasaki KLR rider, and the idea of the least expensive but highly capable frame is in keeping with the I-Can-Make-This-Work aesthetic. ANYBODY can get there on a Thorn Raven, for Chrissakes!
Anyhow, you guys are great. I'm one Yank who loves Cyclechat. I'll be posting pics as the bike comes together. Phil Wood BB, White Industry hubs, Shimano XT throughout. I know, I know: not a poor man's components, but I gotta give myself a fighting chance! Please visit my website at www.tohokuforward.org. It's for a good cause.

lulubel

Über Member
Out of interest (not criticism of your preference because everyone's preference is their own), why do you want a slack head angle? What benefit do you gain from it when you're going to be mostly on road?

simon.r

Person
...using Reynolds 853 tubing. Steel it may be, but it's worlds apart from the One One's chromoly, which is strong and robust, 853 gives a supple, and extremely light for its strength ride quality. Top of the market (and price!) is the Cotic brand, with several hardtails to choose from, my favourite being the Soul, designed for 100mm to 140mm forks, slack but climbable, and astonishingly light at 4.4lbs for a medium frame.

The original Inbreds were 853 and a limited edition (100 I think) were made from 853 a few years ago. I've got one, bought on a whim (and under the influence of alcohol:blush:). I really ought to get round to building it up!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The original Inbreds were 853 and a limited edition (100 I think) were made from 853 a few years ago. I've got one, bought on a whim (and under the influence of alcohol:blush:). I really ought to get round to building it up!

Bet it's not pink like mine......
Tameside-20120715-00184.jpg

It's a beaut. Bit of a different beast to the 456, although i was thinking of getting one meself, for a chuckabout......

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Ha! I long to one day tour the UK. I really enjoy looking at y'all's tour reports and pics. My father's family was originally from Dublin, so a trip through the old homeland is definitely in order.

Top Bottom