Any tips for 1st 10mile TT please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
[quote name='Blott's Mate']Did my 1st 10mile TT last night. target was sub 30mins(48yo female).did 29 57 so Yehhh! BUT - crap ride paced it badly & chose too higher gears for level of fitness. Also first go on tri-bars & tried too higher gear.

I drove the course 1st to visualise/learn it before the event. Will do this for every event.[/quote]

wow, that's amazing, good on you, I'm jealous of that achievement

Dave5N

Über Member
[quote name='Blott's Mate']Did my 1st 10mile TT last night. target was sub 30mins(48yo female).did 29 57 so Yehhh! BUT - crap ride paced it badly & chose too higher gears for level of fitness. Also first go on tri-bars & tried too higher gear.

I drove the course 1st to visualise/learn it before the event. Will do this for every event.[/quote]

Why?

montage

God Almighty
Dave5N said:
Yes, I'm sure you thought it would.

Personally, I would have ridden it.

I thought you didn't do TTs!

My first TT (10km/6.2miles) was.....a steep learning curve.

5...4...3...2...1.....BANG I'm off at a 33mph pace...2 miles in and I am feeling very sick :biggrin: ..... then a collision with some poultry, then a puncture. woo..... just under 19 minutes....(but I guess that includes one skid/brake to a halt and one puncture fix)

aran20

montage said:

Yeah thats what I thought?!? Dave5n seems very negative sometimes. Ok he does not like TTing, but a lot of riders do. I am sure you're a decent fellah and a decent rider in your own right, but some of your opinions could ignite thread arguments... Unless thats what you're after.

aran20

Massive well done Dan... First one under your belt.

As Dave5N says riding an unfamiluar course beforehand is a great idea. One to remember perhaps.

Dave5N

Über Member
I don't do testing. My point was, if you want to know how a course/road/circuit rides, ride it. Going round in the car doesn't really help except with general geography.

Sorry if that too was negative.

Dave5N

Über Member
[quote name='Blott's Mate']Personally, I would have ridden it.

Time pressures. Work 10hr+ days & course nowhere near home[/quote]

Fair enough. Not easy to fit everything in.

Will1985

Über Member
montage said:

My first TT (10km/6.2miles) was.....a steep learning curve.

5...4...3...2...1.....BANG I'm off at a 33mph pace...2 miles in and I am feeling very sick :rolleyes: ..... then a collision with some poultry, then a puncture. woo..... just under 19 minutes....(but I guess that includes one skid/brake to a halt and one puncture fix)
If you were doing 53km/h, it was all anaerobic which is why you killed yourself. You need to learn your body and how to pace time trials; it is best to start off at a controlled pace and then keep upping the tempo (a computer is the most basic guide here, while some will favour HR or power over speed). A good warm up should also help, then you'll be easily doing that course sub 15min.

Dave5N

Über Member
Will1985 said:
If you were doing 53km/h, it was all anaerobic which is why you killed yourself. You need to learn your body and how to pace time trials; it is best to start off at a controlled pace and then keep upping the tempo (a computer is the most basic guide here, while some will favour HR or power over speed). A good warm up should also help, then you'll be easily doing that course sub 15min.

Good stuff Will.

Blott's Mate

Learning the general geography is quite useful when you have a poor sense of direction & have to follow someone or bring a map or do the same routes over & over again or you'll be lost forever. Taking the right route on the TT is helpful

Top Bottom