Any translators?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

The following label appears on the top shelf of the shared fridge at my company's offices:

"svp vrijhouden voor kolven"

Anyone care to hazard a translation?:rolleyes:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I thought somone was struggling with a post from Yenners! :rolleyes:

<sorry Yenners, just joshing> :biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
U

User169

abchandler said:
please reserve for cabbages??

That's one translation (at least it's the one that Babelfish renders), although it's not what is intended in this instance!

OP
OP
U

User169

punkypossum said:
please don't block off for something...Whatever that something might be... I think.....

indeed, whatever that "something" might be:laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Does this help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolven

Probably not...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Mort said:
Please keep free for breast milk. We had a similar one up last year. Weird. :biggrin:

Presumably not to avoid 'contamination' of the breast milk, but to ensure a valuable resource isn't wasted in some middle manager's morning coffee....

OP
OP
U

User169

Uncle Mort said:
Please keep free for breast milk. We had a similar one up last year. Weird. :biggrin:

Well done Uncle M!:sad:

Apologies, just realised AbChandler got there first!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Mort said:
Natuurlijk, je hebt een visketel :biggrin:

Naturally, I have a fishkettle?

That's the great thing about Dutch, if you can say it out loud, and get past the odd spelling, some words are comprehensible.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Mort said:
Yes. I always thought that that's where the phrase "double Dutch" comes from - it's so near to English, but but not quite. But you should hear Frisian. It's the closest living relative to English, and it often sounds it. If you hear people talking just on the edge of earshot you'd swear they were speaking English.

Must be disconcerting, if you then can't quite understand. Like having the radio not quite loud enough....

I've not been to the Netherlands yet, I'd like to one day,

Top Bottom