Any TV engineers out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you allowed to tell us that you worked on Polaris, Official Secrets Act and all that? :becool:

I think it is a bit odd that the set can display the menus but nothing else. Even if the tuner was kaput, you'd think that the SCART input would still work. Just a thought, but does the menu system give you an option to reset the TV to some factory defaults? Perhaps it has just got its eKnickers in a twist?

Another (unlikely) possibility, which was a weird one I discovered on my mum's TV - We couldn't get it to turn on and the fault eventually turned out to be that the remote control had 'crashed' and locked up! I had to remove its batteries and short the battery terminals together to remove any residual charge in it. The remote control and TV worked perfectly after that! (I didn't work out that solution myself, I Googled the symptoms and found two other people complaining of the same problem and how they had fixed it.)

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
didn't sign the act so no ties and it was over 20 years ago - tbh great job but being abused by employer takin the p!$$ getting me to do lots of work and no promotion or major pay rise so left to work in semi conductor industry.

Good ideas and suggestions there though so will engage brain (it's often in neutral nowadays) and search google - for some reason that never crossed my mind - only excuse is I've have been incredibly busy at my existing work at a bank

Thanks again mate ;)

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Well had a look at it and searched Google but the only thing I could find was someone changing the power lead - tried it anyway - no joy so thought about other stuff from ColinJ's suggestions of remote crash or system resets. Checked all the settings and found that the picture settings had all reset to 0 so no brightness, contrast, colour or sharpness - totally weird but at least it's working again :biggrin: so happy son and very happy dad :sad:
any thanks for the replies - you guys rock :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
kfinlay said:
Well had a look at it and searched Google but the only thing I could find was someone changing the power lead - tried it anyway - no joy so thought about other stuff from ColinJ's suggestions of remote crash or system resets. Checked all the settings and found that the picture settings had all reset to 0 so no brightness, contrast, colour or sharpness - totally weird but at least it's working again :smile: so happy son and very happy dad :biggrin:
any thanks for the replies - you guys rock ;)
Excellent! :whistle:

Now, all I need is someone to tell me how to fix a failed upgrade to WordPress 3.0 - I've just bust my blog and if I don't fix it tonight it'll be down for nearly a week because I'll be too busy for the next 5 days - aaaaaaaaaaargh - damn technology! :wacko:

PS I've done a bodge repair so it looks to the outside world that it is working, though it's still 50% broken!

Top Bottom