Any TV engineers out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I've got a Samsung LCD tv that's stopped working and the local tv repair shop said they can't get parts but wouldn't tell me whats wrong. The sound works but not the tv picture although you do get the menu on screen when changing channels etc

The model is LE20S51BPX/XEU and looks like the attached pic. It's my son's tv and he can't play his PS3 so hoping to get it fixed for a reasonable price rather than have to buy him a new one

speccy1

Is it just the backlights gone??

C

chillyuk

I'm a former TV engineer, but of no use to you. When I trained TV's had valves, and even when I left the trade TV's were straightforward to fault find and fix. I used to use the "can't get the parts" tale when I didn't want a job which was quite often when people lugged Sony Trinitrons into the workshop.

I wouldn't know where to start on these modern LCD things. Good luck with it.

Got a few of these knocking around if they are any good to you :laugh:

py4cg.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
smack it one - top or side, both good options.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sound working would suggest it's not a handshake problem. Could be the hdmi port going a bit dodgy that's certainly been known to happen on older samsungs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
threebikesmcginty said:
smack it one - top or side, both good options.
No, that was valve TV maintenance, lesson #1!

It actually worked a lot of the time, either shaking crap loose inside the valves, or more likely, temporarily reseating a loose valve or two.

Eventually it would kill the set altogether though and then a chillyuk would be sent for!

We had two valve TVs and usually at least one of them went wrong in any given year so having the TV repair man round was a pretty common thing.

Unreliable electronics seems to be pretty much a thing of the past, and so is fixing things. It's often cheaper to just chuck broken kit away and buy replacements.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
marinyork said:
Sound working would suggest it's not a handshake problem. Could be the hdmi port going a bit dodgy that's certainly been known to happen on older samsungs.
It's older than that - no HDMI on that one!

Dodgy SCART?

Try the PS3 and current lead on a different TV or try a different SCART lead on the dodgy TV.

Hmm, if it is just a dodgy SCART lead, then surely the TV side of things would still be working...?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmmm, I suppose I should bother to look models up!

I'd try it on a separate DVD player or something through SCART.

Brains

Legendary Member
Silly q. but does it work as a TV ?
Which would imply the problem is communication between the PS3 and the TV, not the actual TV

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
No tv image or PS3 or DVD so it's definitely the TV and nothing else. Have tried through SCART and old ariel lead but nothing except the menu system. Have thought about the TV tuner or signal processor - quite often some on ebay but really not sure. Not looked at electronics stuff in years - used to test and fixed Polaris Missle guidance systems so you'd think I'd manage a tv but have no schematics to work from (and tbh forgotten most of what I ever knew)

Top Bottom