Any Ukulele players out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I got a ukulele for my birthday a few years ago, but haven't had time to play it ... besides I got banished upstairs!
We went to see the UOoGB a few years ago and I loved it [hence the present!]... they were brilliant but the left hand end one with the grey ponytail wasn't on the tour which was a pity.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Do any Ukulele players ever have the Ukulele down by their crotch in a Status Quo style?

Or is it always at chest height?
It HAS to be at chest height or you wouldn't be able to play it. There's no straps on a feather-light uke so you hold it up in order to twang it one. And as Frank Skinner reveals in that brilliant documentary about George Formby, what he's playing is a banjolele for a reason unsuitable for mortals like us. If Formby or indeed Skinner were to play a uke, the audience in an auditorium wouldn't hear the sound so a banjolele is required HOWEVER, if we were to go for a banjolele, it would have two disadvantages, a) it's more expensive than a plain uke and b) it's too loud to play around your house and unless your voice is amplified with a microphone, the people you sing to wouldn't hear your voice as it'd be drowned out by the volume coming from the body of the instrument.

An FYI on uke/banjo/banjolle etiquette there!

(I have to put clothes pegs on the bridge of my banjo if voice is required or it's too loud)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I got a ukulele for my birthday a few years ago, but haven't had time to play it ... besides I got banished upstairs!
We went to see the UOoGB a few years ago and I loved it [hence the present!]... they were brilliant but the left hand end one with the grey ponytail wasn't on the tour which was a pity.
It's one problem I had with learning the Sax, apart from I had to keep re-arranging lessons at the last minute due to travel changes, it's just too loud to play when others are in the house.
The Uke is much queter and easier to travel with!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have one but I have to admit I hardly play it any more due to other pressures on time.

This for me too, well, not so much time pressure as wasting too much time once I got internet at home... Only played chords and sang along to myself, but it's fun.

PaulB

Legendary Member
No uke, but I have a yearning for a banjo.

Does that make me a bad person?
if so, I'm a double baddie. I love the sound of a banjo and find it the easiest of the stringed instruments to play (for a cack-handed accident-prone wazzock like what I am).

Reactions: TVC
Top Bottom