Any Vegetarians out there? sources of Iron...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Looked this up for you- some interesting sources there - not veggie myself but hope this helps:

Some Good Sources Foods Rich in Iron* (Dietary Iron) are:
List of Grains Rich in Iron: Iron (mg.)
Brown rice, 1 cup cooked 0.8
Whole wheat bread, 1 slice 0.9
Wheat germ, 2 tablespoons 1.1
English Muffin, 1 plain 1.4
Oatmeal, 1 cup cooked 1.6
Total cereal, 1 ounce 18.0
Cream of Wheat, 1 cup 10.0
Pita, whole wheat, 1 slice/piece, 6 ½ inch 1.9
Spaghetti, enriched, 1 cup, cooked 2.0
Raisin bran cereal, 1 cup 6.3

List of Iron Rich Legumes, Seeds, and Soy:

Sunflower seeds, 1 ounce 1.4
Soy milk, 1 cup 1.4
Kidney beans, ½ cup canned 1.6
Chickpeas, ½ cup, canned 1.6
Tofu, firm, ½ cup 1.8
Soy burger, 1 average 1.8 to 3.9*

List of Vegetables Rich in Iron:

Broccoli, ½ cup, boiled 0.7
Green beans, ½ cup, boiled 0.8
Lima beans, baby, frozen, ½ cup, boiled 1.8
Beets, 1 cup 1.8
Peas, ½ cup frozen, boiled 1.3
Potato, fresh baked, cooked w/skin on 4.0
Vegetables, green leafy, ½ cup 2.0
Watermelon, 6 inch x ½ inch slice 3.0

A Sample List of Foods Rich in Iron:

Blackstrap Molasses, one tablespoon 3.0
Dates or Prunes, ½ cup 2.4
Beef, Pork, Lamb, three ounces 2.3 to 3.0
Liver (beef, chicken), three ounces 8.0 to 25.0
Clams, Oysters ¾ cup 3.0
Dark meat Turkey ¾ cup 2.6
Pizza, cheese or pepperoni, ½ of 10 inch pie 4.5 to 5.5

* Varies with brand. Check the iron content on the label. ** Pregnant women should not eat liver because of its very high Vitamin
A content. Large amounts of Vitamin A can be harmful to the baby

ASC1951

Guru
I spoke to the GP about that - he said you'd need to be on about 20 cups of tea a day for the caffeine to have any noticeable detrimental affect on iron absorption. I have about 4 cups/day max.
I have worked with people who drank that amount of tea and coffee! I have a very low tolerance for the stuff, I'm afraid - two or three mugs of tea a day, like you. No coffee, because that sends me completely loopy.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
russell_grant624x351.jpg

Is he an iron?

Attachments

• russell_grant624x351.jpg
    russell_grant624x351.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 31

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't know if the benefit is negated by frying it and the addition of sugar and salt, but if kale, savoy or other dark greens get boring as veg, they can be quite addictive deep fried and seasoned as 'Chinese Seaweed'.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah, lamb's liver... fried with onions. Yum.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I don't know if the benefit is negated by frying it and the addition of sugar and salt, but if kale, savoy or other dark greens get boring as veg, they can be quite addictive deep fried and seasoned as 'Chinese Seaweed'.
I've not tried kale before...does it need cooking or can it be eaten raw (as in a salad)?
If frying negates the iron, maybe I should empty out the pepper pot and fill it with iron filings.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've not tried kale before...does it need cooking or can it be eaten raw (as in a salad)?
If frying negates the iron, maybe I should empty out the pepper pot and fill it with iron filings.

I don't know that I'd eat kale raw, it's could be a bit chewy, and it's at the bitter end of cabbage for me. I'm sure it could eaten raw though, if you liked it. I'd shred it, and cook lightly in a little boiling water just to take the edge off, or do the seaweed thing. I don't know how much any style of cooking affects the iron content - like whether iron can leach out in the water like vitamins...

Apparently when breakfast cereal is 'fortified with iron', it is literally sprinkled with very fine filings...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You can't destroy iron by cooking... unlike Vitamin C.
or you could just just lick a rusty nail. [no, don't]

Top Bottom