Any Vegetarians out there? sources of Iron...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Following a blood test, the results indicated I am slightly anaemic and need to boost my iron levels. I don't want to go the inorganic route (taking tablets) and don't fancy eating more meat either.

Which non-meat food is high in iron? Preferrably something you can make a main meal out of, so something a bit more substantial than pumpkin seeds. Thanks.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Any intensely green vegetable... like brocolli ...there'll be loads of recommended recipes on Google.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I heard once that the best meal for someone anaemic was a steak, a pint of Guinness and a bar of Bournville chocolate, because they are all high in easily absorbable iron. Green veg (the darker the better) is high in iron, but the body must also have enough vitamin c to help the absorption process work efficiently.

I think you don't drink? so the guinness isn't much help, and the steak is meat, so that leaves you a large bar of Bournville chocolate...

Probably best to up your intake of dark green veg then - kale and suchlike. Stuffed cabbage? And for some reason, I've got beetroot springing to mind, but I've no idea if I'm right on that.

(Spinach, BTW, doesn't have Popeye super-levels of iron in it. Apparently, that myth was all down to a misplaced decimal point in the analysis).

Green veg (the darker the better) is high in iron, but the body must also have enough vitamin c to help the absorption process work efficiently.
heard this too; suggestion is to drink a glass of orange juice with the veg.
Although IIRC Kale wasn't so great at Iron levels, but as it's one veg I actually can eat (most green leafy veg tastes horrid to me) I hope I'm wrong!

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the suggestions.
@Arch - yes, no booze for me. I do like the Irn Bru suggestion though.:smile:

Bicycle

Lentils, Spinach and Broccoli are good. I believe (no idea why) that PS Broccoli is better for iron than the green one.

If you can eat fish, I believe roe is good for iron (needn't be caviare). Some molluscs also, I forget which.

Also (bizarrely) cocoa powder may be a good one. I think this is limited to certain types, but it has the makings of a sound excuse for excessive consumption of same.

I'd agree with you that tablets are just silly. I have no idea why people fascinate about a supplement of this and of that to add to their vitamins tab and their iron tab and all the rest. Food is so much nicer than tablets. Yummmm.....

(I'm not a vegetarian, but two of my children were for a number of years)..

the snail

Guru
heard this too; suggestion is to drink a glass of orange juice with the veg.
Although IIRC Kale wasn't so great at Iron levels, but as it's one veg I actually can eat (most green leafy veg tastes horrid to me) I hope I'm wrong!
Kale is high in vit C, lentils are good for iron.

ASC1951

Guru
Following a blood test, the results indicated I am slightly anaemic and need to boost my iron levels. I don't want to go the inorganic route (taking tablets) .....
Iron is iron - there is no such thing as 'synthetic chemicals' as some health food sites would have you believe. You are indeed better getting your minerals and vitamins from food rather than supplements, but not because there is anything different about the chemistry of what is in the tablet.

Which non-meat food is high in iron? Preferrably something you can make a main meal out of, so something a bit more substantial than pumpkin seeds.
Quite; and pumpkin seeds are expensive. There's a good list here from an authoritative source http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-iron-deficiency-/Pages/Treatment.aspx
Note the point about iron inhibitors. It is possible that your diet is adequate in iron but you are overdosing on caffeine, which some vegetarians tend to do; in that case you would be better dropping the caffeine.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Note the point about iron inhibitors. It is possible that your diet is adequate in iron but you are overdosing on caffeine, which some vegetarians tend to do; in that case you would be better dropping the caffeine.
I spoke to the GP about that - he said you'd need to be on about 20 cups of tea a day for the caffeine to have any noticeable detrimental affect on iron absorption. I have about 4 cups/day max.
Mind you, the same GP said that my low iron count could be down to being a blood donor for 15+ years. Another GP said this could not be a reason for low iron levels.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Quite; and pumpkin seeds are expensive.
Why buy pumpkin seeds? We get ours free with each pumpkin!

After processing the pumpkin for a meal the seeds are cleaned, dried and then roasted, either in a pan or in the oven when something else is cooking in there.
Haven't had any for a while though.

Top Bottom