Any washing machine fettlers on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have a recurring problem with our washer/drier and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

It seems whenever Mrs S only puts a few items in, (not often as wash loads are generally maximised), the machine decides to leak for some reason.

It never does it when it's fully loaded, only ever with one thing in for example.

I found this pic, (not our machine) to illustrate the point. It's not leaking from the door, but from under the lip I've pointed the arrow too.

Any ideas folks?

Attachments

• WASHING MACHINE.jpg
    WASHING MACHINE.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 22

defy-one

Most have a filter which just needs cleaning fron time to time. Check the manual if you still have it.
Put a baking tray under it when you find the lug .... it will be full of water and gunk

compo

Veteran
As Defy says, also have you closely checked the rubber seal between the casing and the drum casing. Small splits in the concertina shape can allow water to seep down to where you arrow.

compo

Veteran
If you have shut off valves then yes, turn them off and unscrew. Then remove the drain hose and lay it in a bowl and most of the water will gravity drain. Once you tie it to the back of the machine keep the end fairly high and you shouldn't get any more water leaking out.

compo

Veteran
Out of courtesy to the people moving in after you just check that the valves don't leak when the hoses are removed. Screw on blanking caps are only a few pennies and can save you grief.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Out of courtesy to the people moving in after you just check that the valves don't leak when the hoses are removed. Screw on blanking caps are only a few pennies and can save you grief.
Or if it was a sale and they screwed you on the price, use mole grips to mangle the threads. :whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It is a sale, and they didn't, but even if they had I wouldn't do such a nasty thing - where's the pleasure in that?
It was a *joke*.

As you were.

I used to repair these for a living a few years ago,Unplug the Machine and take the top off
shine a torch inside onto the front fascia you can sometimes see trails where water has been
dripping down and/or rust spots as well,the top culprits for leaking are the dispenser and the hose
connecting to the drum and the door seal,If you cant see where it's been leaking try recreating the
fault by putting in a similar load,put it on a short 30 min cycle and run it with the top cover off,
don't be sticking your hand in when it's running mind!It may only leak on one part of the cycle,
fill/wash/rinse/drain or spin if you can identify when it's leaking it can point you in the right direction

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies folks.

I've actually found an instruction book for it in a drawer, although it's not much use TBH.

Having found the make and model, (Diplomat APM8721), I was able to find the filter location, thank you Google, (I thought it was a drain on the front :whistle:).

I've cleaned the filter, although it wasn't that bad IMO, probably down to the fact it doesn't get used as a drier I suppose.

I'll keep my eye on it, but I can't see the filter was having any adverse effect but I guess you never know.

Next step will be extraction and top off as you suggest Pennine-Paul, hope it won't come to that though.

Top Bottom