Any wild flower experts out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
What's this please?......
DSC04862 1.JPG

and this?......
DSC04884 1.JPG

I have a wild flower identifier app on my iphone, but it's not really coming up with the goods and giving me the certainty I'd like.
Is the first some sort of Alkanet and the second some sort of Aster? Or Speedwell (Grey Field Speedwell) and Stitchwort.
Seeing them all over the place.
Thanks.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Top one looks like Forget-Me-Not.
Lovely, but can spread like buggery if left unchecked.

There you go... show's my gardening ignorance. ^_^
the flowers are very similar at first sight, but forget me nots are much more 'robust' and hardy and grow taller in poorer soil etc. They also come in varitaions of colours. Germander Speedwell is much more delicate, usually found in lawns and is a trailing plant, spreading rather than growing tall (flowers will grow to the height of grass) and considered to be a 'weed' in those circumstances. But as my late Grannie defined a weed - it is simply any plant growing where it is not wanted. I personally I happen to like germander speedwell in a lawn. it is good for the wildlife often flooring early (and now I really have put myself in the really weird group of cc'ers!);)

yep - they are, note the colour variation and much "stronger" less fragile appearance.

Top Bottom