any Wine buffs out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I have 2 bottles of wine dated 1986 indoors that I would like to find out if they are worth anything, I googled the titles but didn't turn up anything for that age, anyone know if I can take them to oddbins or something to find out if I'm sitting on a gold mine?

ChrisKH

Guru
I thought you were talking about Winehouse naked shots for a moment.:rolleyes:

Unlikely and it depends on the type of wine. If the wine was appropriate to be laid down and it has been kept at home it's also the case that the temperature may have been too hot or too cool and it's now vinegar. In my experience.

My father used to have cases sent to him by an old employer which I inherited and have laid down but I doubt they have kept or are worth anything. Lots of Wine Society Clarets. Truth is I know nothing about wine generally. Don't even drink it.

asterix

Comrade Member
As far as I know, wines for laying down are distinct from those you drink straight away. In any case I have never been able to keep any long enough to find out if it improves:sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
asterix said:
As far as I know, wines for laying down are distinct from those you drink straight away. In any case I have never been able to keep any long enough to find out if it improves:sad:

Ditto - open them !!!

Hi Walker,
Knowing the value of your wine depends on a number of factors and really requires a wine expert as well as someone knowledgeable.
If I were you I would call Berry Brothers and Rudd (tel: 0870 900 4300) - or visit them if youre near Basingstoke or central London (for more info www.bbr.com).
Just say what you said above and they will ask the right questions for the info needed to give you a valuation. They are usually friendly and helpful and one of the oldest wine merchants in the country.

Fletch

domtyler

Über Member
Unless they have been stored correctly they will be worthless unfortunately. It is normal to buy vintage wines from a dealer who has the correct storage facilities rather than from someone's attic. :rolleyes:

red_tom

I've got a mate who is a Master of Wine. He's head of buying for one of the smaller London merchants. I can ask him if you give a few more details. Storage could have been a problem though.

First thing I'd do would be to compare the region to a vintage chart to give you an idea.

If it's a Penfolds Grange though, I'll give you a tenner for them ;)

OP
OP
walker

walker

ok, I have a Domaine du Tariquet, white, 1986

and a

Bergerac blanc Sl? the rest of the label is ripped but also white 1986

I did open up a bottle of 1998 chardonnay last night and was lovely

OP
OP
walker

walker

red_tom said:
I've got a mate who is a Master of Wine. He's head of buying for one of the smaller London merchants. I can ask him if you give a few more details. Storage could have been a problem though.

First thing I'd do would be to compare the region to a vintage chart to give you an idea.

If it's a Penfolds Grange though, I'll give you a tenner for them ;)

Tom,

I emailed that Vintage Chart people and they came straight back and replied that I should just drink them, so open up and away we go:biggrin:

cheers all

Top Bottom