Anybody a smart phone nerd? Need help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Hey all, thought I'd take a shot at seeing if there are any phone experts on here.
I'm looking for an Android which is around £100-150 (new) region basically, but which has the best spec for the money? Like bikes, I am sure I could get a better spec phone 2nd hand, but I'd rather buy new for safe playing.
I know all I need about bicycles, but I have no idea about phones and technology
confused.gif

I currently own a W995 which is 3rd hand, so is on its way out, not a very good phone for what I think I could own.

I'm looking for a good spec pay as you go phone which can use the app 'Strava' (a cycling app) good megapixel camera and preferably with 'O2' or '3' as they have a data plan packages. Doesn't matter about touch screen or buttons.

If you know anyone on here who has knowledge on smart phones, please send them a link.

Cheers :thumbsup:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I use a samsung Galaxy, works fine with all the cycling apps, battery life ain't great but good enough.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Thanks for the reply :biggrin: . My (now ex) girlfriend has a Galaxy Ace, it looks good for the money, just seeing if there's anything else out there.

Carphone Warehouse seem to not care what they sell you (from what I've heard) and only go by certain things, thus why I'd rather ask online, on forums.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
You might even want to consider a Garmin Edge and a cheaper phone if you dont want to pay monthly. You can upload your rides from the garmin to most apps like Strava too. GPS tracking apps have a tendency to eat phone battery, especially over long cycles and a smartphone without a monthly plan might not be so great.

Just something to think about, your first post made me wonder if you only wanted a smartphone to race on strava ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have an older Desire and it's great. Check data allowances using gps. Works best if you end your ride in a wifi zone, like at home. Free data upload.

Using the gps hammers the battery, you will be charging both ends of the ride if you use the phone as well.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Thanks for the answers so far. I also spotted the HTC Wildfire S, any good compared to the Samsung? It's about the same price.

I might as well pay for a good phone if I'm going to spend £150! :huh:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Gps itself doesn't use data, but uploading your route will do - unless, as suggested, you wait until you have wifi coverage before doing that.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
As Fossy said check about using gps, assisted gps (A-GPS) uses some network data and in my experience is noticably better for gps tracking apps and no idea what this would cost if anything. A lot of smartphone features are heavily reliant on internet/data too and can eat through PAYG, otherwise youll miss out on using stuff like mobile internet, mapping, stuff like endomondo's live tracking. On the plus side, loads of apps to play with, most stuff will work over wifi :smile:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Just a quick comment about carphone warehouse, the really big advantage of buying from there is that the handsets are unbranded, that means you don't get the bloatware (company specific apps that you can't remove.)
I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again

Top Bottom