anybody any experiance with insure the box ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
To be fair, my step son has been saving for about 4 years to get enough money to pay for his own lessons and insurance. We have said we would buy him a car for his 18th as long as he could afford to tax, insure and put petrol in it. Surprisingly he has saved over £3000 !!!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah, work colleague went down that route- his son bought a £300 clio and then the rest on his son's first year's running costs... then had a dint accident with a stationary taxi who's driver then claimed whiplash and 4 weeks off due to injury and damage to his taxi - £16,000 claim.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Can only just afford to run our car, let alone get one for the kids... eldest can't drive due to epilepsy anyway, second just learning, but knows that if she wants a car, she's buying/funding it herself.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have an old, 10 year old, Ford KA, I'm 62, it costs me £500 quid a year to insure, the reason? I was car free for over 30 years, no checkable history, since I've had it its cost me almost as much as I paid for it to insure. Only one of my sons drives, he's in his mid 20's, he started with a 1.2 corsa, nice motor, he brought it about a month before his test and insured it in my name so I could drive it till he passed, his mum helped him buy the car but he sorted out his insurance himself, he did tell me how much but I've forgotten now. he was only driving for about a month before someone wiped him out on a roundabout, pulled onto the roundabout spun him round and just kept going, we never traced the driver, me and his mum paid the repair bill, had to pull in some favours to get the cost down, in retrospect we should have just scrapped it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
@Fnaar point them in the direction of ikube if your daughter does go for it
Ooh, thanks. Will look into that. Mrs F insured daughter #2 for a month on some special deal (£80) so we can give her lessons in our car too (this month), but I can't think of the name of the company right now. Thanks for the tip.

BAtoo

Über Member
My son got his premiums reduced by an appreciable amount by having my wife as a named driver on his policy.

The things that reduced my son's car insurance premiums were having a named driver with a clean licence (preferably a female named driver), looking around for the right type of car ( not one favoured by the typical 17yr old lad - corsas etc) and him having a job - Oh and him getting older. By now,aged almost 20, we are down to 800ish.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A young lad I know was driving an 04 plate Clio. He has now traded it in for a brand spanking 1litre diesel Kia Rio.

The insurance is miles cheaper and for a little engine it really shifts. Plus 7 years warranty.

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
I used to work I n car insurance. If you're having one of the driving monitor type things fitted be careful to check the t&c as anything the driver does that the box doesn't like causes massive additions to the premiums.

Top Bottom