anybody doing the 24hr silverstone event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hmmm ... tempting. £200 entry fee though.

I took part in a 24 pedal car Le Mans on two occasions in the mid-80's.

We had a team of us that we split into two smaller teams. One team slept while one team rode, then we swapped after a few hours.

We won best new comers the first year we entered :thumbsup:

I don't even know where our pedal car originated from, but the over riding memory is that it weighed a tonne.

The LBS's, (one in particular called Chain & Sprocket), and some of the local clubs also entered, and I think some of them were paying Adrian Newey to assist with the designs :whistle:

Anyhoo, Chain & Sprocket basically won every year, but despite that it was fantastic fun.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did the MacRide at Silverstone in 2010. I was quite surprised how undulating the circuit is - my GPS made it 35 feet of climbing twice per lap and the laps are about 3.6 miles long so if you averaged 18 mph for the 24 hours then you'd cover 432 miles and climb 8,400 feet in total!

My event was only 2 hours long but I started late and I wasn't permitted to start my last lap because I'd have finished outside the time limit. I averaged 18 mph for just short of 2 hours and completed 9 laps. I was on my singlespeed bike and there was a constant 18 mph wind blowing across the circuit. I was overgeared into the wind and undergeared with the wind behind me. I reckon I'd have managed 20-21 mph on my 27 speed Basso, more if it hadn't been for the horrible wind.

I think a team of 4 riders giving it some stick could probably do well over 500 miles.

robgul

Legendary Member
I did the MacRide at Silverstone in 2010. I was quite surprised how undulating the circuit is - my GPS made it 35 feet of climbing twice per lap and the laps are about 3.6 miles long so if you averaged 18 mph for the 24 hours then you'd cover 432 miles and climb 8,400 feet in total!

My event was only 2 hours long but I started late and I wasn't permitted to start my last lap because I'd have finished outside the time limit. I averaged 18 mph for just short of 2 hours and completed 9 laps. I was on my singlespeed bike and there was a constant 18 mph wind blowing across the circuit. I was overgeared into the wind and undergeared with the wind behind me. I reckon I'd have managed 20-21 mph on my 27 speed Basso, more if it hadn't been for the horrible wind.

I think a team of 4 riders giving it some stick could probably do well over 500 miles.

I was there too - riding a fixed. Can't remember how many laps I did, I was part of the organising team and didn't ride for the whole session (I do remember the wind being tiresome)

The 24 hour thing seems like a "pigs might fly" event to me .... a couple of other high price (but less than the amazing £200) events have been tried and cancelled through lack of numbers. We'll see.

Rob

ColinJ

I was there too - riding a fixed. Can't remember how many laps I did, I was part of the organising team and didn't ride for the whole session (I do remember the wind being tiresome)

The 24 hour thing seems like a "pigs might fly" event to me .... a couple of other high price (but less than the amazing £200) events have been tried and cancelled through lack of numbers. We'll see.

Rob
I remember saying hello to you, Rob. I met you once before at the end of the Shakespeare 100.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wouldn't mind doing that as part of a team, unfortunately, I'll be in that French France, riding over there.

robgul

Legendary Member
I remember saying hello to you, Rob. I met you once before at the end of the Shakespeare 100.

Indeed, I recall - I'm fairly obvious : very tall and usually wearing a MacRide jersey! ... are you entered for the Shakespeare SPRING 100 on Sunday 7 April 2013?

Rob

ColinJ

Indeed, I recall - I'm fairly obvious : very tall and usually wearing a MacRide jersey! ... are you entered for the Shakespeare SPRING 100 on Sunday 7 April 2013?

Rob
I'm afraid not Rob - I haven't been able to ride my bike since July last year due to serious illness, but I'm hoping to make a cycling comeback eventually and the Shakespeare 100 will be on my to-do list again when I do. It would be nice to think that it will be in time for the September event this year, but I'll have to wait and see.

ColinJ

For a good challenging team target, how about a team of 5 attempting a total of 500 miles? That's an average of 20.83 mph.

That comes out at 27.32 3.66 mile laps each, so if you all wanted to get centuries in, call that 28 laps each, or 102.5 miles. 24 hours/5 = 4 hrs and 48 minutes of riding to do 102.5 miles, an average speed of 21.35 mph.

If you had a mix of stronger and weaker riders, the stronger ones could do extra laps, and the weaker ones fewer laps.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
For a good challenging team target, how about a team of 5 attempting a total of 500 miles? That's an average of 20.83 mph.

That comes out at 27.32 3.66 mile laps each, so if you all wanted to get centuries in, call that 28 laps each, or 102.5 miles. 24 hours/5 = 4 hrs and 48 minutes of riding to do 102.5 miles, an average speed of 21.35 mph.

If you had a mix of stronger and weaker riders, the stronger ones could do extra laps, and the weaker ones fewer laps.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

Sounds like you could be our performance director, are you volunteering?

ColinJ

Sounds like you could be our performance director, are you volunteering?
I might do, if you can assemble a team of 5 with a realistic prospect of hitting that target! :thumbsup:

One of my sisters lives in Towcester which is just down the road from Silverstone so I could time an autumn holiday to fit in with the event.

So, you'd ideally be riding at (say) 24 mph early on to build up a bit of a time buffer which might be needed later. I make that 9 minutes and 9 seconds a lap.

I think if you got a windy day like the one that I had on the circuit, you might have to drop the target to (say) a more realistic 400 miles.

Top Bottom