Anybody else do long ish walks as well as cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Last month I walked 101.2 miles I quite enjoy it as you see a bit more than cycling
Yes I`ve noticed that too

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I enjoy walking in the mountains. There are some parts of the country, where the scenery can get a bit same-y, where cycling is much better because you go faster, so you still get changing scenery.

Steady

Über Member
I enjoy walking everywhere and anywhere. It's amazing when you fit a bit of walking into a normal day how quickly it adds up at the end of the month.

As for single session longer walks, twenty miles doesn't make me sore anymore, but I went into a 32 mile walk back in January not as prepared as I would have liked (few injuries, life matters etc) and felt it for the whole week.

I feel my mental limit is around 20-25 miles though, after that I begin to question why I'm walking this far.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I walk to the bank in town and back, that's about 1 mile each way. I don't really mind walking but I much prefer cycling ( when the weather is good). Never cycle in the rain but don't mind walking in the rain.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've been walking rather more over the last few weeks, as I can't cycle of drive right now. Probably about 3-4 miles a day when the weather has been nice, as much to get out of the house, less now going to station and work. My shoulder starts to hurt after a bit and my knees won't take long walks (my feet also get sore, probably need better shoes) but it's good exercise and has saved on bus fares :smile:

I've even discovered a couple of parks within half a mile of home which I didn't know existed...only lived here about 13 years!

vickster

Legendary Member
I used to walk a lot, but after taking up cycling, I really don't like it any more. The back of my leg muscles seem to have got more taut due to riding, and walking is faintly uncomfortable because the muscles feel overstretched. Do other people feel the same?
You should try to loosen up your calves and probably hamstrings and glutes too or you'll potentially find yourself with other issues, such as back pain...I have the most ridiculously tight calves too! Weight bearing exercise i.e. Walking is good for bone density, important as get older

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Prior to my accident I used to walk a lot all over the UK and Ireland (it's probably why my knees are knackered)

pawl

Legendary Member
How do you find it?

I`ve just done 2 20 mile walks in the last 4 days and am totally shot, I feel like I`ve done a week`s worth of centuries on the bike!!

I`m happy with my ability, just wondering what others are capable of...........
Walking poles are a good idea.Saves a lot of pressure on the knees.
I started using them for not only hilly walkes but on the flat also.

The effect of using poles is similar to using the stair rails when acending stairs
Defiantly ease pressure on the knee joints.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll happily do both - like here. Ride bridleways from Askwith Moor Rd (above Timble); walk footpaths from Timble Ings, up Round Hill, and along the ridge to Beamsley Beacon; ride to Addingham. Lovely ride/walk/ride. Or across Ilkley Moor.

It's sometimes hard work manhandling a touring/hybrid bike over really rough bits. But you get to see so much more. Granted, it looks a bit weird. :tongue:

But keep smiling, and it's amazing how many people stop and have a wee chat, just to check out the loony! ^_^

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Another dog owner here, so walks are compulsory. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy both, for different reasons. Cycling allows me to explore areas further afield, whilst still being able to enjoy and appreciate the scenery and landscape (descents are significantly more fun on two wheels than two feet), but walking / rambling / hiking / call it what you will gives me the opportunity to appreciate the small details, especially as I take my camera with me. I may cover greater distances on the bike and see areas otherwise out of reach, but walking gives me the chance to observe wildlife and explore terrain that is inaccessible on the bike. Best of both worlds without giving up either.

fimm

Veteran
Munro bagger here (see picture). Did a hut-to-hut walk in the Austrian Alps last year.
Most hill walks aren't as far as 20 miles, but have a lot of ascent.
You move through the landscape at different speeds, walking and cycling. I like both. And of course there are places you can walk to that you can't cycle to (and routes that would be boring to walk that are perfect to cycle).

Top Bottom