Anybody else do long ish walks as well as cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Used to walk a lot more, but sadly old age is catching up with our dog and he can't cope with the 15-20 mile walks we used to do together on weekends and holidays any more. A few years ago we'd go up to Northumberland for a week and walk that distance every day, and we'd be up in the Washburn Valley, Calder Valley or Yorkshire Dales most weekends, but he's only able to cope with 10 minutes or so a couple of times a day now. :sad:
So cycling is my main exercise.
I still try and get in a walk of at least a mile at lunchtime (or more if I have time), as much to get out of the office as anything - plus I'm at an age where I need to keep things moving! :rolleyes:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We're lucky in having good hilly footpaths within 5 mins walking distance of the front door. A friend and I did the northern half of the GR20 a few years ago, which was hard on the knees.

10 miles+ a day 6 days a week..even used to walk for pleasure 3 peaks etc. Knees starting to really feel it and hence why I have packed in the post.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Up to when I became a Dad I was a life-long mountaineer and rock climber. Then time constraints took over and nowadays I walk very little, 99% of my exercise being on the bike. However since I'm now massively fitter than when I used to mountaineer, my problem is that I can climb fast but descending absolutely kills me; my legs are sore for several days after going up then down a mountain. Walking is a great supplement to cycling though because it exercises other muscles including those responsible for balance and stability on uneven terrain. Cycling and ski touring are great CV workouts but terribly limited in the muscles they actually exercise.

Top Bottom