Anybody else enjoying the dark rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I am:smile:

My commute home is 18 miles and the majority of which is on disused railway and it`s lovely - everybody else has buggered off and it`s all mine............

Not good when you get to the first of two tunnels which are both half a mile long, and your light packs up.......bring on a scary moment haha!!

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm not. I still have to use roads full of cars and they close the nice, quiet park I rode through when it gets dark so I have to add an extra mile and a bit to my ride. That takes an extra 10 minutes on some of the crapiest paths I've ever used. I may just go cross country tomorrow.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I am:smile:

My commute home is 18 miles and the majority of which is on disused railway and it`s lovely - everybody else has buggered off and it`s all mine............

Not good when you get to the first of two tunnels which are both half a mile long, and your light packs up.......bring on a scary moment haha!!

Where are the tunnels? They sound like the ones by bath?

I'm now a darkness evangelist, having got my trike and conquered my fear of being down the lanes in the pitch black.

As long as you are the scariest thing out there, it's quality :laugh:

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I'm not. I still have to use roads full of cars and they close the nice, quiet park I rode through when it gets dark so I have to add an extra mile and a bit to my ride. That takes an extra 10 minutes on some of the crapiest paths I've ever used. I may just go cross country tomorrow.
Funny how the routes vary, mine is road for the first 3 miles or so, and then the rest is on the railway - I emerge from the other end about 200 yards away from home. If you like the dark and listening to owls hooting it`s magic!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Where are the tunnels? They sound like the ones by bath?

I'm now a darkness evangelist, having got my trike and conquered my fear of being down the lanes in the pitch black.

As long as you are the scariest thing out there, it's quality :laugh:
No it`s not the Bath ones, I`m further down than that. I`m picking up the track from Plymouth to Tavistock, on the western edge of Dartmoor, the first tunnel is curved, so if the lights have gone out and it`s dark it`s like entering the jaws of hell, the second one is straight so as long as I can see the other end it isn`t to bad

rdfcyclist

Very much so, there's nothing like the fear of accelerating into the darkness with your front light slowly dying. I too use an old railway line/path as well as roads which has made this week interesting

andyfraser

Über Member
Funny how the routes vary, mine is road for the first 3 miles or so, and then the rest is on the railway - I emerge from the other end about 200 yards away from home. If you like the dark and listening to owls hooting it`s magic!
I like the dark. I'd like it, and cycling in it, a lot more if I was on my own. My commute a couple of years ago took me down a country lane that was always deserted. I loved that.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I like the dark. I'd like it, and cycling in it, a lot more if I was on my own. My commute a couple of years ago took me down a country lane that was always deserted. I loved that.[/QUOI
I used to find it creepy, but love it now, especially on a clear/moonlit night when people have their wood fires burning, heaven!!

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
No it`s not the Bath ones, I`m further down than that. I`m picking up the track from Plymouth to Tavistock, on the western edge of Dartmoor, the first tunnel is curved, so if the lights have gone out and it`s dark it`s like entering the jaws of hell, the second one is straight so as long as I can see the other end it isn`t to bad

Oooo I've not heard of those tunnels. What is the surface like? Is it Tarmac?

I only ask as my dad still lives down that way (grew up down there) and I'll be triking back over the summer next year.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Oooo I've not heard of those tunnels. What is the surface like? Is it Tarmac?

I only ask as my dad still lives down that way (grew up down there) and I'll be triking back over the summer next year.
OK, they are Shaugh and Grenofen tunnels, yes they are both tarmaced and very civilized, the main problems are dripping water and the lack of light if you get caught out haha!

andyfraser

Über Member
I finished work at midnight in the early nineties and would walk or cycle across country. I soon got over how creepy it was and loved being out in total darkness (except for cycle lights if on the bike) on my own.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I finished work at midnight in the early nineties and would walk or cycle across country. I soon got over how creepy it was and loved being out in total darkness (except for cycle lights if on the bike) on my own.
I get you totally, now!

Top Bottom