Anybody else enjoying the dark rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Sadly there aren't any tunnels, only cover available is the occasional bypass or confused horse from neighbouring fields. Norfolk doesn't really do cycle tunnels which is a shame
Yes I believe it`s bit flat there! Lumpy as hell here, 25% hills are the norm here.......

young Ed

Veteran
Funny how the routes vary, mine is road for the first 3 miles or so, and then the rest is on the railway - I emerge from the other end about 200 yards away from home. If you like the dark and listening to owls hooting it`s magic!
i love the dark in places i know like i was born there! places i've never been before i'm not the keenest seeing as i know there's a fair few illegal poachers and other shady characters lurking about in the dark round here at night and they have been known to be ruthless
on the other hand as i say in fields and far yards and even roads round here that i know blind folded i love it, us farmers reckon we near on own the roads round here anyway! haha
not unknown for me to be found out checkin' my lambs down the road and the bosses sheep whilst i'm at it late at night well after dark! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Until recently, I hadn't done any night riding since my teenage, dynamo-driven-flickering-light days. Even the modest setup I have on my bike now is a million times better than that.

I shudder to think that I used to pedal along busy, unlit, unrestricted roads in the pouring rain where drivers must have had trouble seeing me until they were almost on top of me. I think it's only the fact that there was a lot less traffic about in those days that kept me alive.

Now, I love riding on the dark.

Had a fun Dark ride this morning.
As I was heading to work a woman was out walking her large dog. Of course both were in non-reflective dark gear so I had a hard time seeing them. They were crossing the road headed for the open field. At the last second the dog bolts after me. The poor woman did not have the weight to control her dog and was sent ass over tea kettle. I had to sprint to get away from the ravenous beast. The woman got up and shouted an apology and that she was fine. I giggled all the way to work.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had to sprint to get away from the ravenous beast.
The woman or the dog?

andyfraser

Über Member
I went off road for a bit and went into the park by a side entrance. It was nice being completely on my own in pitch darkness. The park was more crowded than it is in daylight however! Lots of families walking dogs. I didn't save any time but it was nice enough I'll go that way again tomorrow.

robjh

Legendary Member
Yes, I enjoy the dark winter evening commutes home. Given a choice I think I'd still plump for the long summer evenings of June or July, but doing the ride in darkness is something to be cherished too. Last night's commute was about 14 miles, all but 2 down quiet rural roads and the moonlight on the road was awesome.

roger06

Not enjoying it one bit so far. 2 dark rides home and slipped and fell off the second time. Have just ordered a Moon 500 lumens front light which I am hoping will make a difference. I am determined to cycle thru the winter...

buggi

Bird Saviour
I love it too. My route takes me past the end of the runway and it's ace when the planes come in or take off, even better in the dark.

Top Bottom