Anybody else having trouble seeing Garmin 530 display?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Got a new Garmin Edge 530 before Christmas. I've used it on 4 rides so far and really struggling to see much on it while actually riding, which makes it not a lot of use. It's clearly designed by and for folks with young eyes!

I can see the display ok when wearing my normal varifocal specs but on a ride I normally wear my wraparound glasses with a prescription insert for distance. It's even worse with the polarised lenses, I don't have to use those. I can ride with my varifocals but with the cold air at this time of year I need the wraparounds or I can't see a lot anyway at speeds over 15mph due to my eyes watering! :biggrin:

First couple of rides I set up the profile to a 7 field display but can't see the small numbers in the corners at all unless I really hunch down so there's no point. The bigger ones are a bit blurred but I can make out the numbers. I've set a 4 field profile which I have only tested indoors.

I'm finding the fonts are really poor for visibility actually: tall, narrow and squished together and there seem to be no settings for font size. You just have the predefined layouts for which you can select different fields.

It seems to be a combination of poor font size/choice, a reflective screen, my eyes and the prescription inserts. Unless there's a mod, or Garmin issue a firmware update with adjustable font sizes, looks like I'll have to just use the layouts with 3 or 4 bigger field which waste a lot of screen area

Mike_P

Guru

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Check the contrast settings?

None, only brightness settings. I'm experimenting disabling auto brightness and different brightness settings.

Thanks, it crossed my mind. I've just put a tempered glass protector on but those are cheap enough for a punt. They might help, or they might make it duller.

abcd efg

Über Member
I wear specs all the time, not just for reading, and have never had trouble using whatever Garmin it was that I had at that time. I have had a few. On the bike, I almost always use my corrected sunglasses but there are times when I use my regular glasses. Both have Varifocal. I was fortunate when I first did this some years ago that the opticien who did the first pair of glasses and then a couple more later on is a cyclist and he was well aware of what I needed. Since then that man has retired but the new owner of the business just two weeks ago did up new lenses for my existing frames and they too are great for cycling and reading my Garmin Edge Explore 2. Perhaps you should check other opticiens to find one who is a cyclist.

Cheers and good luck!

Mike_P

Guru
I have a pair of varifocal cycling glasses from optilabs having had difficulty seeing the small text with cycling glasses just with a distance insert.

I just have those sticky plastic lenses inside my cycling sunglasses for reading the display. It works great for me but I don't need any distance glasses.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I couldn't cope with 7 fields on my Edge 510.
I have a collection of much simpler layouts and just swipe between them to get to the data I want to see.

The most complex has only 5 fields. My preferred layout has only 3 fields.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Perhaps need to have a varifocal or bifocal insert in your wraparounds, if that's feasible?

I wear specs all the time, not just for reading, and have never had trouble using whatever Garmin it was that I had at that time. I have had a few. On the bike, I almost always use my corrected sunglasses but there are times when I use my regular glasses. Both have Varifocal. I was fortunate when I first did this some years ago that the opticien who did the first pair of glasses and then a couple more later on is a cyclist and he was well aware of what I needed. Since then that man has retired but the new owner of the business just two weeks ago did up new lenses for my existing frames and they too are great for cycling and reading my Garmin Edge Explore 2. Perhaps you should check other opticiens to find one who is a cyclist.

Cheers and good luck!

I have a pair of varifocal cycling glasses from optilabs having had difficulty seeing the small text with cycling glasses just with a distance insert.

Yes it seems varifocal/bifocal inserts are the way forward. I'd assumed varifocal inserts would be ££££ but Specsavers standard ones are £39. Although, they state the mid range vision is the lowest of all the variants and it's this mid range (same as my VDU glasses) that I need for the Garmin.

One issue is I'll need to source a new insert. The glasses I have are cheap Rockbros presumably made in China, but I bought them off a Facebook ad not Amazon. and the seller doesn't seem to exist now so not sure how I can source the insert. I could always get another set of glasses at that price which would come with another insert. Get a different colour for coordination with different outfits :laugh:

I just have those sticky plastic lenses inside my cycling sunglasses for reading the display. It works great for me but I don't need any distance glasses.

Interesting, have you got a link?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dadam

Another issue with the Rockbros is the insert is fragile. Specsavers put the lenses in but said if it breaks during the process they're not liable. It was ok, but has since snapped in 3 or 4 places, and is now held together with superglue!

I guess this is leading toward me investing in a quality pair of glasses and a varifocal insert. More £££

Mike_P

Guru
I tried the sticky lenses and they ended up in bin. My cycling glasses with the distance insert were simply too curved for them to work and trying to cut them down to act as a bifocal never came to a situation where I could see clearly without being distracted distance wise and I never got them to work for closeness.

Yes it seems varifocal/bifocal inserts are the way forward. I'd assumed varifocal inserts would be ££££ but Specsavers standard ones are £39. Although, they state the mid range vision is the lowest of all the variants and it's this mid range (same as my VDU glasses) that I need for the Garmin.

One issue is I'll need to source a new insert. The glasses I have are cheap Rockbros presumably made in China, but I bought them off a Facebook ad not Amazon. and the seller doesn't seem to exist now so not sure how I can source the insert. I could always get another set of glasses at that price which would come with another insert. Get a different colour for coordination with different outfits :laugh:

Interesting, have you got a link?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/huub-altai...M4vyNpOExzaGYFp3fvkaAv32EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I'm a bit confused. The OP says he can see the display fine when wearing varifocal specs but not when he's not.

Isn't that a bit like asking: 'Anyone else having trouble seeing those tiny letters when at the opticians?'. Umm... Yeah, just wear your glasses then? Surely you can just put them on and then a pair of cycling goggles on top to prevent tearing up.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

I'm a bit confused. The OP says he can see the display fine when wearing varifocal specs but not when he's not.

Isn't that a bit like asking: 'Anyone else having trouble seeing those tiny letters when at the opticians?'. Umm... Yeah, just wear your glasses then? Surely you can just put them on and then a pair of cycling goggles on top to prevent tearing up.

No I can't fit the cycling glasses on top of the varifocals. This is the point.

Top Bottom