Anybody else here never been abroad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 3014530, member: 9609"]I Often wonder if I am the worlds most failed traveller, brought up in a sort of gypsy/travelling community that never went anywhere, plenty tales of life on the road but we never went anywhere.
Then my dream was to become a trucker and tour the continent, a life on the road - this was a time when you could get loads to the middle east then tramp home with back loads that could take you anywhere in Europe, away a month at a time - that didn't work out either, spent most of my driving hauling coal round the North East and sometimes even failing to get off the open cast sites.
But there was always the dream of retiring early and seeing the world; that's not working out either, now that I have the time and money to travel I can't be arsed.
Been nowhere done nowt :sad:[/QUOTE]

Never say never, give it a few years and you might think differently!

hoopdriver

Guru
[QUOTE 3014530, member: 9609"]I Often wonder if I am the worlds most failed traveller, brought up in a sort of gypsy/travelling community that never went anywhere, plenty tales of life on the road but we never went anywhere.
Then my dream was to become a trucker and tour the continent, a life on the road - this was a time when you could get loads to the middle east then tramp home with back loads that could take you anywhere in Europe, away a month at a time - that didn't work out either, spent most of my driving hauling coal round the North East and sometimes even failing to get off the open cast sites.
But there was always the dream of retiring early and seeing the world; that's not working out either, now that I have the time and money to travel I can't be arsed.
Been nowhere done nowt :sad:[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you travelled a fair bit in spirit and in your imagination. I love the vision of the trucking life you describe - or at least the romance it implies.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If IOW qualifies then I too have been overseas.BTDTGTTS(brevet card actually).
Similarly Guernsey,Mull,Islay & The Scillies but no brevets
Guernsey is definitely abroad, by any definition. It's not in the EU and has its own government and currency.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I walked the length of Wood Green High Street on Saturday for the first time for many years. That was like being in a different country.

My Dad was in the RAF in 1944 -1948, and served much of his tour of duty in Germany, which was of course just about wrecked, structurally, economically and in just about every other way.

Once he returned from the RAF he never went abroad again. I think that the misery that he had seen over there put him off, although it was something he never talked about, even if asked.

As a result, I was not exactly encouraged to go abroad, and didn't do so at all until I was about 25.

gbb

Legendary Member
My Dad was in the RAF in 1944 -1948, and served much of his tour of duty in Germany, which was of course just about wrecked, structurally, economically and in just about every other way.

Once he returned from the RAF he never went abroad again. I think that the misery that he had seen over there put him off, although it was something he never talked about, even if asked.

As a result, I was not exactly encouraged to go abroad, and didn't do so at all until I was about 25.
My dad too, joined in 1949, served 28 years. Flew twice...and that was two times too many according to him. I suspect the planes then were uncomfortable, noisy, prop driven transports..he hated flying.. Doing recovery of crashed aircraft in Germany probably didnt help though, he told us once of his disgust at his colleagues who quite happily took packs of cigarettes from the breast pockets of dead passengers who's seats had sheared, compressing 20 or so poor souls into the front of the plane.
Even doing engine run ups on Mosqitos etc, he said it seemed a miracle they flew, the whole planes shook as power was applied. I suspect his view was already jaded by the time he progressed onto jets, ultimately Vulcans.
I tell him, flying on a plane is as boring as going on a bus nowadays.

SteCenturion

I am your Father

I really feel for vet's of all wars/conflicts from WW1 & previous to Afghan & into the future.

I served 9 years in the RAF & volunteered for every mission/conflict/peace keeping tour.

However due to my trade I only ever went to the Gulf for Desert Storm & this was an outpost nowhere near any real fighting.

Looking back, I remember that every time a new military intervention was announced on the news my mother was on the phone to ask if I was going.

So I feel also for the families of servicemen & women.

In hindsight it was probably a blessing that I didn't see the real hell holes of this planet & devastation caused with my naked eye.

It's easy too see why someone who has witnessed these things being reluctant to leave their home country.

Top Bottom