Anybody fancy a pint..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
First pic is me sat on the toilet half an hour after coming home from work, second is a few hours later..

My idea of just "sprucing up" the WC with a few tiles has spiralled out of control, off toilet shopping in the morning.

What's my best option with the waste pipe (first pic) just box it in and tile over?.

View attachment 353290

Loving the blue stripes on those tiles, but I'll bet they're a hell of a job to pattern-match.

I'm working out how to make it look nice but be easily accessible just in case..
When you screw the new toilet bowl to the floor either replace the supplied screws, (mild steel probably), with stainless, or put plenty of grease on the standard screws. It's absolutely not something folk think about, but if or when they need to come out they'll be rusted in, and I've seen a few busted floor tiles and cracked toilet bowls to know it's worth the extra little effort during installation ;) :okay:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
IMG_0242.JPG
First pic is me sat on the toilet half an hour after coming home from work, second is a few hours later..

My idea of just "sprucing up" the WC with a few tiles has spiralled out of control, off toilet shopping in the morning.

What's my best option with the waste pipe (first pic) just box it in and tile over?.
View attachment 353292 View attachment 353292

View attachment 353291

View attachment 353290
I did mine two weeks ago

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
IMG_0243.JPG

View attachment 353292 View attachment 353292

View attachment 353291

View attachment 353290
Added this little fella, taps, sink all in for £75 off EBay

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I had a lovely day of it today!, went toliet shopping this morning and and it all went down hill from there..

Came back and ripped old pan out and stripped floor back, found a big hole presumably put there when the house was re-wired..

Managed to sort that out and got new floor base down and grouting done behind toilet space.

Built new toilet and thought as I was doing it "this could do with a blob of silicone..

Battled with soil pipe, cleaned out limescale and chopped it down (lovely!) then got it all fitted and filled, noticed a drip from fitting under cistern so drained it down.

By this point my 5 year old daughter was desperate for a number 2 and laid the biggest floater I've seen for a while, no water in tank to flush it and a bucket of water didn't make much difference!.

So I'm laid over the toilet full of poo undoing the cistern fittings thinking I couldn't really get much worse!.

Then noticed the isolation/ stop valve on the water supply was leaking, must have been on there 15 years or more and was a right ballache to remove.

I was going to take the toilet back but it's too much hastle so I've added a couple of O rings and some silicone to fix it (hopefully!).

Just having first meal of the day but I keep getting flashbacks of soil pipe stench..

20170521_124556.jpg

20170521_183121.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would put down some exterior ply (say 9mm or thicker) over those rough floorboards and screw it down well. You'll find that laying the floor finish is much easier. Stick a plastic bag over the soil pipe and hold it with duct tape or whatever to keep out the interesting smells while you are working.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I would put down some exterior ply (say 9mm or thicker) over those rough floorboards and screw it down well. You'll find that laying the floor finish is much easier. Stick a plastic bag over the soil pipe and hold it with duct tape or whatever to keep out the interesting smells while you are working.

Cheers, I put the ply down yesterday before fitting the toilet. Floorboards have seen better days!.

Turned the water on this morning and no leaks!.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
When you screw the new toilet bowl to the floor either replace the supplied screws, (mild steel probably), with stainless, or put plenty of grease on the standard screws. It's absolutely not something folk think about, but if or when they need to come out they'll be rusted in, and I've seen a few busted floor tiles and cracked toilet bowls to know it's worth the extra little effort during installation ;) :okay:

Yep the toilet came with stainless screws, old ones were just a blob of rust as you say ;).

Getting there slowly, nowt's square and very unorthodox tiling method but gets the job done..

20170522_205529.jpg
20170522_205635.jpg

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Just found the revalation that is Bonding Coat Plaster, apparently it's got cork mixed in..

Filled all the walls where the skirting was, spent yesterday after work cutting 20 awkward tiles and sticking them on.

Bought stainless screws to fit the floor ply and re-screwed it.

Hopefully finish all the tiling tomorrow after work, been a bit of a slog as work's just stupidly busy at the moment..

20170526_211828.jpg

Top Bottom