Anybody for middle-aged male andropause?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This seems to be the term that is preferred to the cliché "male menopause" when discussing middle age in men.

Wiki lists the symptoms as:
Symptoms, in humans, caused by a drop in the male hormone testosterone include:
  • Anger and social withdrawal
  • Irritability
  • Hypersensitivity
  • Anxiety
  • Mood swings
  • Depression
  • Hot flashes
  • Lack of libido
  • Back and head aches
I seem to be suffering from most of these at the moment; it's getting me down and I'm wondering what to do about it. Worth going to see the GP? There doesn't seem to be any agreement on treatment. Anybody else in their 40s or 50s feeling this way? Does it get any easier?

Being very fit is probably mitigating the effects so I wonder how I would be feeling if I was a lardy couch-potato?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes see a doctor, because the symptoms list includes a load of symptoms which are common to many physical and psychological illnesses and you will need to get an expert opinion and maybe some tests done to rule out some of those issues.

The symptom list could indicate, "male menopause" as you suggest, it could also be one of several several glandular issues (I think that's right, example being underactive thyroid), or clinical depression and anxiety disorders, really its an open book, go speak to a pro! :smile:

Hope you feel better soon!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's accompanied by a severe reduction in overall muscular strength and tone and a tendency to accumulate stomach fat very quickly if I overeat and don't exercise. Also a greatly increased incidence of muscular or joint injury if I'm not very careful when doing unaccustomed tasks.

(Edit: Ha ha! I haven't actually used the mildewy Camelback for around a year because I'm riding 99% on the road nowadays and when I do mountain bike I just shove a bottle in my backpack pocket!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've suffered from all of those since I was 11 years old! (Except for the hot flashes (flushes?)) Perhaps I've always had a testosterone deficiency?

I was wondering about that a couple of months ago when I walked to the local shops one evening. I heard a commotion coming from round the corner, the kind of thing I was used to hearing on Friday and Saturday nights in city centres. When I turned the corner I saw 3 groups of drunken young men engaged in vicious brawls in the middle of the road. One young man was lying defenceless in the road as two others kicked him in the head. It was a really ugly thing to witness. Suddenly, police cars and ambulances arrived and the thugs scattered back into the bar from which the brawl had erupted.

It struck me how powerful and angry those young guys had looked - red faces, bulging muscles and unfeeling hostility; it was a scary thing to observe. I couldn't remember a time when I ever had that kind of raw power and aggression.

I've spoken to many male friends about what it was like in our teens and early twenties. They talk of racing motorbikes, scaling sheer rockfaces, getting into boxing/karate/kung fu, sleeping with lots of women, getting into fights ... Most of that time I was just sat quietly at home reading books and constructing electronics projects! :whistle:

Tiberius Baltar

• Irritability
  • Hypersensitivity
  • Anxiety
  • Mood swings
  • Depression
  • Hot flashes
  • Lack of libido
  • Back and head aches
Youve just listed all my best points! Seriously did you just cut and paste my internet dating profile and put it on here?

This list is pretty much useless in my opinion. It could simlpy be replaced by the term "Man" because lets be honest here we are all guilty of being depressesd moody over sensitive hyperchondriacs in our time :tongue:

I'm a firm believer that if you constantly worry about symptoms then you cause other problems. Just try not to think so analytically and accept that some days you feel good and some days you feel bad some days your all sweaty for no reason some days you just can't get warm.

Its life. Whats to worry about? As long as your family loves you then your doing ok :smile:

Stephenite

Membå
This seems to be the term that is preferred to the cliché "male menopause" when discussing middle age in men.

Wiki lists the symptoms as:
Symptoms, in humans, caused by a drop in the male hormone testosterone include:
  • Irritability
  • Hypersensitivity
  • Anxiety
  • Mood swings
  • Depression
  • Hot flashes
  • Lack of libido
  • Back and head aches
I seem to be suffering from most of these at the moment; it's getting me down and I'm wondering what to do about it. Worth going to see the GP? There doesn't seem to be any agreement on treatment. Anybody else in their 40s or 50s feeling this way? Does it get any easier?

Being very fit is probably mitigating the effects so I wonder how I would be feeling if I was a lardy couch-potato?

I've been feeling most of these symptoms for a while now. And some others perhaps. In fact, i've been on sick leave for six or seven weeks now. (It's very rare i take a day off sick, honestly, well not when genuinely sick :P ). GP thinks its depression and I should prioritise 'me' for a while. But how can you do that when you have an infant in the house?

My gf has mentioned 'mid-life crisis'... well, maybe. But i hadn't considered male menopause! I bloody hope not, i'm too young (44).

You're not the only one feeling shoot Gti. If that helps. :smile:

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I had nearly all the symptoms when I was self employed back in the 1990's. Giving SE up and changed career path (Doctor's advice) plus returning to cycling and banished bad habits has made me a lot better person in my 40s to now early 50s. If I had that list of symptoms now I would definataly get checked out.

Top Bottom