Anybody got these bikepacking bags? Or get ortlieb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
No not got them but they do seem a bit small. Mine are a mismatch of different makes Apidura seat bag is 17lt, Altura handle bar bags is 15lt and Lomo frame bag is 5lt. Even at that I need to go very minimalist when camping for anything over just a night out.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

No not got them but they do seem a bit small. Mine are a mismatch of different makes Apidura seat bag is 17lt, Altura handle bar bags is 15lt and Lomo frame bag is 5lt. Even at that I need to go very minimalist when camping for anything over just a night out.

Seems like you carry a lot of stuff.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Honestly after watching Yt videos.

Best buy would be the Ortlieb, they are pricey but seem to be really good quality.

I could get 16L handle bag
16L saddle bag
4L frame bag
for 280.

Baldy

Über Member
There's also Apidura, Altura, Restrap and Lomo I'm sure there are others. Shop around and don't get stuck on any one make.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Check out Topeak as well, cheaper than Ortleib but still top quality. I've a full set on my bike and really rate them.

Another factor to consider is whether the bags you want fit your frame. The Ortleib saddle bag for example, needs a lot of seatpost showing, which I don't have. Another reason I went for Topeak, which do fit my bike.

Seems like you carry a lot of stuff.

Like this? :smile:

38216342865_2e8c073ea5_k.jpg

Later on in the ride ...

39057507462_3e3e903fff_k.jpg

My next planned bikepacking trip of any note is ~2,000 km and will have me carrying at one point 26+ litres of water. Will put Ortlieb front panniers on the rack for that, plus a bladder on top.

Getting back to to the OP, my configuration is probably outside of your price range, but it is a combination of Revelate Design harness (handlebars), Salsa bag on one fork, the frame bag is from the Bike Bag Dude (custom build) and the saddlebag is from Porcelain Design. The other bags are Sea to Summit.

Very happy with all the bags and the setup now (it has been refined over a few rides)..

Last edited:

Dwn

I did have various ortlieb bike packing bags, but ended up selling them on eBay. They were excellent quality, but I found them a bit of a faff. Ended up buying the panniers (gravel packs) from that range, and v happy with them

www.alpkit.com/collections/bikepacking could always have a look at these

Sixmile

Veteran
Hi

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/product-p/pol01-7527-bun.htm

Found this bundle, looks decently priced considering other makers.

I was drooling on Ortlieb bags But they are so expensive!!!

This seems a good option.

Another set was from planet x bundle anybody got them? ( Seatpack,frame bag, handlebar) Come to around £70

So half price difference.

Please any suggestions

Thanks

Yes I have them. Well, the saddle bag and bar bag. I didn't think I'd get much use out of the frame bag as I already have a salsa anything cage on bike. I'm really pleased with the quality of the Polaris kit but have only used them a few times so can't comment on long term durability. If it helps 'TotalMTB15' at checkout would get you a further 15% off the Polaris kit.

If you do order, just make sure to get a big pack of the Polaris fixie straps. I don't think I do any rides now without one or two in some shape or form. They are an invaluable yet simplistic piece of touring kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lauris

If I am being completely honest,

I really want the ortlieb set up... they look really good.( Saddle,Frame,handlebar bags)

But I just can't yet commit to buying £300 worth of bike bags.

Another positive,

Even if I use them once, they will have good resale value.

I really want to pull the trigger.

But I am here still watching YT review on them. :biggrin:

OP
OP
L

Lauris

The cheapest for the trio is £260
This includes
16.5L Saddlebag
4L Frame bag
15L Handle bag

Essentially double the price of Polaris.

It is expensive, but it will also hold its value.

Do I bite the bullet? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom