Anybody have any "squidgy" flapjack recipes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've found that unsquidgy flapjacks are mainly caused by baking them for too long at a too high temperature.
Mine go in the oven @ Gas Mk3 for no longer than 10 minutes.
Once I've melted the Flora and some golden syrup (and possibly a bit of brown sugar, depending on my mood) and added enough oats to make it all stick together nicely, I scoop it into a tray lined with foil. I then sprinkle some baking chocolate bits on and fold them in before they melt. If I'm adding sultanas, I first soak them in boiling water for a while to plump them up and add them to the mix with the oats after melting the flora/syrup)

''banana flapjack'' threw up
Yup. Banana + throw up xx(

I assume manually mixing is as good as a food processor?
No. Food processor chops as it mixes. In fact, it only takes a few moments for dry oatmeal to resemble flour.

I'd try the recipe without a food processor. The results would be quite different, but probably still quite successful.

Edit: just read the recipe. I'd melt the butter and golden syrup together and then mix them into the dry ingredients. Add a bit of desiccated coconut, and you've got a recipe for Anzac biscuits, which are distinctly crunchy - though they are baked in spoonfuls on a tray.

Edit 2: replace some of the oatmeal with Ready Brek, which is basically ground oatmeal. That should give the mix of whole oats and powder that a food process would give you.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Surely, and don't call me Shirley, a food processor would take all the texture out of a decent flapjack.. And why would you need one for such a simple basic recipe?

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I've found that unsquidgy flapjacks are mainly caused by baking them for too long at a too high temperature.
Mine go in the oven @ Gas Mk3 for no longer than 10 minutes.
Once I've melted the Flora and some golden syrup (and possibly a bit of brown sugar, depending on my mood) and added enough oats to make it all stick together nicely, I scoop it into a tray lined with foil. I then sprinkle some baking chocolate bits on and fold them in before they melt. If I'm adding sultanas, I first soak them in boiling water for a while to plump them up and add them to the mix with the oats after melting the flora/syrup)

That all? I was following the recipe (s), usually 190 ish (gas 5-6) for half an hour or so. After I burnt the first ones (they were smoking:eek:) I took off 10 mins and tried again, but obviously I still had the oven too high

Surely, and don't call me Shirley, a food processor would take all the texture out of a decent flapjack.. And why would you need one for such a simple basic recipe?
because they want a mixture of oats and oat powder. A food processor gives you both from one ingredient.

But these recipes aren't molecular gastronomy, or even patisserie. They will "work" with a wide variety of different combinations. Try them, tweak them, try again. The results will all be edible, and mostly will hold together as bars. If it's too crumbly, add more fat; too goopy - less fat. Add nuts or seeds or dried fruit or peanut butter for nutrition or for taste. If it works, write it down, if it doesn't, learn from that and try again.

PeteXXX

That all? I was following the recipe (s), usually 190 ish (gas 5-6) for half an hour or so. After I burnt the first ones (they were smoking:eek:) I took off 10 mins and tried again, but obviously I still had the oven too high
Trust me... :okay:

Mrs bean

Regular
Davinas low fat flapjack, made with honey, you can add walnuts, dates, whatever you fancy, flipping lovely and because it's low fat you can eat double :hyper:

Top Bottom