Anybody miss me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Smeggers said:
Pics are brilliant. Unusual choice Germany - but I think you had a friend there?

You've got one of those looks like I should recognise you - are you sure your not famous?!

I've often wondered why Germany should seem to be an odd choice as it is a very beautiful country and the bike paths are mostly excellent i.e. it's perfect for touring as BTFB has demonstrated.

The upside of course is that unlike Provence and Chiantishire we get spared all those braying home counties stock broker accents!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Germany is a great country to tour. UNlike the UK the car is not king over there. I experienced mile after mile of open car free cycle paths clearly signposted (for the most part). There were also many many other fully loaded bikes around, trikes, tandems, recumbants and hand peddle bikes as well and not a single jerkoff chavvy oik around to comment! The campsites are in the right places and there is no need to book. They are expensive, however fror your 10Euro a night (ish) you can be assured of a clean toilet block and a decent shower, as well as good laundry and cooking facilities on 90% of sites. Most of these sites also have a good shop, bar and imbiss or restaurant. They are a lot better than the English sites I experienced last summer.

I dont see Germany as a strange choice to tour...I would have gone even if I didnt have family there (who i didnt visit anyway). The people are friendly , welcoming and interested in you. The language is pretty easy to grasp and if you cant then they all speak at least basic English and are happy to do so, unlike the French people I have met.
The BIG plus is that the bier is th ebest in the world.

You've got one of those looks like I should recognise you - are you sure your not famous?!

..well I don't like to brag ...:ohmy::biggrin::rolleyes:

Smeggers

Fair do's - I'm just not sure the hotter climes of Spain or Italy would have been my 1st choice thats all.

As regards to being famous, its either somthing to do with Robert Plant or Rowlf from the muppets? :biggrin::ohmy::biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

What's the yellow thing hanging off the back?

that is my free loader super charger solar panel. It worked until the USB socket on it collapsed and died, I am about to post it back to the supplier for a new unit.
Basically if I ever go to the sahara I will carry it, but for northern europe...well...clockwork power might be the way forward there.

Smeggers

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Close my friend, very close:biggrin:
:ohmy::biggrin:

This ones for you then ....

rowlf.jpg

Here's my 'welcome back' <mate> - not using that name or acronym any more...the truth is out.
You are the original hairy biker! (Probably got enough to share out at a CC meet up :smile::smile:) and it is good to hear that nothing worked and you had a great time. :smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
P.H said:
Great photos, my list of places I want to visit just isn't getting shorter.
rowlf.jpg

?????:eek:

Moonlight

i love your hair, much like mine used to be (only mine is blonde =P). brilliant pics!

I'm a big fan of the Rhienland (spelling?)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Welcome back ... it sounds like a great trip, and like Cathryn I was suprised by your photo - definately thinner than the image in my head.

I liked the alternative drinks bottle ... can you get those sipping lids for them?:biggrin:

Did Easy Jet provide the bike box at the airport?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Did Easy Jet provide the bike box at the airport?

Flying with a bike with easyjet was easy (Unlike Ryanair who did all they could to sabotage my tour by losing my bike and then damaging it when it finally arrived on a different flight).

On arrival at Basel i went to the easyjet check in where the young lady was clearly used to cycle tourers. The rulkes are:
You buy a box at 14 euros
There is no weight limit on the box contents

so I was able to pack my bike and ALL of my pannier bags contents (by unpacking them and stuffing the contents around the bike) in the box.

Tape and scissors were supplied as was a quiet corner/space to pack near to the check in desk.

I did check in one of my rear panniers as well as it contained my tent with the pegs. My only hand luggage on the return trip was my bar bag.

The bike arrived safely at stanstead.

DO NOT FLY RYANAIR with a bike!! Wherevenr possible use easyjet...that is my advice based on my experiences of both airlines on this trip.

was suprised by your photo - definately thinner than the image in my head.

..well this is the new moi after two years of solid cycling and careful eating. When I signed up here at CC i weighed in at 21 stones...now I weigh in at just under 16stone.
I may have to take up rowing or something to shift the upper blubber though!

yoyo

Brilliant piccies and good to see the familiar sight of the Bodensee and Basel. Mr Yoyo and I were in Basel on 25th; a beautiful city and fantastic weather. We were not on bikes but were touring in our sports' car - confession time.

I have some questions:

Is there a map of German radwegs?

No offence meant but we do not enjoy German dishes. How easy is it to eat alternative food outside the larger cities and tourist traps?

Tony

Just got back myself, after riding from Hoek van Holland up to Sweden. Pics may follow in due course. I flew back from Denmark with Sterling.

Top Bottom