Anybody mix cycling with Aikido?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Has anybody successfully mixed both? i'm thinking of taking up aikido again and i just wanted to see if anyone had issues or whatnot.
i'm thinking more wrists and knees tbh.
ta
pete

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mixed kung fun with cyling many years a go, the only issues i had were that cycling affecte my hamstrings so i hd to stretch a lot more and i did not have enough time to do both properly :smile:

pally83

Über Member
I've done various martial arts over the last 20 years and have always cycled with no problems. Like other have said, just make sure you're stretching and loosening your body up enough.

OP
OP
Melonfish

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
kewl, back to aikido classes methinks.
have missed it but now my weight is down and my wrists are better i'm up for it :biggrin:
cheers.

Nosaj

I threw my bike at someone who tried to karate chop me once. It went OK.

In all seriousness can't see how a bit of other training would hurt provided you do not end up over training yourself. I would imagine that Aikido also requires are certain amount of flexibility which can only be good for tight hamstrings when cycling.

My old Jitsu instructor also suggests that it's a good thing to mix the two, as cyclist can tend to have low density bone problems, which getting chucked repeatedly on the floor in Aikido/Jitsu can help solve, building bone strength - apparently! (He may just be trying to persuade me to start up again)

OP
OP
Melonfish

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
My old Jitsu instructor also suggests that it's a good thing to mix the two, as cyclist can tend to have low density bone problems, which getting chucked repeatedly on the floor in Aikido/Jitsu can help solve, building bone strength - apparently! (He may just be trying to persuade me to start up again)

Ah then you will be highly familiar with the life of the Uke, ours is the art of getting up off'f the floor ;)

Doseone

Guru
Has anybody successfully mixed both?

I did but my bike did a mean Kotegaeshi on me.

Had no problems mixing the two, other than finding time for both, so sadly I stopped doing Aikido last year. I loved it though, absolutely loved it. The decision was made for me in the end because our Sensei had to change the time of our classes through no fault of his own, but it made it really difficult for me to get there. I miss it like mad though.

As you know, Aikido is great for flexibility, and core strength, so I would think the two would mix very nicely.

Top Bottom