Anybody on here ever broken their heel bone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
well I broke mine on the 19th March and still can't bear much weight on it
Apparently its one of the worst bones in the body t break As I'm 70 this year was also told my age is againt me for it to heal quickly about a year its going to take anyone ever had this happen to them would be interested to hear your recovery programme Many thanks Antnee

keithmac

Guru
I fractured mine in my 20's (now 40), it bloody hurt!.

Took months to recover, had to wear a plastercast.

Still bothers me now when it gets cold.

I subconsciously started walking with all my weight on the front of my feet and still can't get out of that habbit so my knees suffer as well.

Good luck and get well soon, how big is the break, did you get to see the x-rays?.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, I fell off a ladder in 1997. It didn't need a cast but I was on crutches for around six weeks and walking with a stick for two or three weeks and off work for nine or ten weeks. Very painful.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I hit a dog in 2003, that shot out of undergrowth. It want straight under my front wheel and I went straight over the handlebars and landed on my backpack, with my feet hitting the floor.

I broke my left radius (where my hand was caught under the brake) and my right calcaneus, The owner left me there for dead, I had no working phone (smashed in the accident) and was 2 miles from home. I somehow managed to get back on the bike and make it home. Wife then took me to hospital.

Doc at the hospital said I was very lucky not to have broken my back - thanks to the low speed plus the rucksack full of clothes I was carrying.

Anyhoo, it took three months before I could walk unaided and a full year before I could get back on the bike.

It still plays up till this day - especially in the cold and I still have the abrasion scars on my elbows and hip.

Thanks for all your reply's good too know that it will get better! (albeit slowly) and I was going to do so much this year too, as well as the cycling!
Yes on the first visit to the hospital I was told it was just really badly bruised and sent away not even an X-ray!!! but after two weeks unable to walk around without hoping thought I better go back and have it looked at again, this time I saw someone who was very through and did X-rays and CT scan showing me in 3D the breaks it was't until I saw this I realised just how bigger bone this one is and why it was so painful I haven't even thought about getting back on the bike.come to that I've just been able to take that heavy boot thing off ( which was heavier that the plaster!)
What really upset me was the fact that It wasn't seen on the first visit and still now the foot at the rear is still swollen perhaps I didn't complain loud enough, OK I know that out health service needs a massive injection of cash to get it going more efficiently But still no excuse for it not being picked up on the first time.
and all this great weather we hav had down here in the SW too, I know I will just have to wait!

Okeydokey

Broke both my heals in the Army jumping off a high wall with a rucksack, spent weeks walking around like the Pink Panther. That was thirty years ago, I can still feel the break when the weather changes... I think. Good luck! Bet you've had some great weather today :sad:

Thanks all At least now I know that I'm not the only cyclist who's broken a heel bone but to break both must have been very painful I know I was shaking for about 1/2 hour afterwards couldn't bear ant weight on it at all and still find it hard to believe that after a day just around the house if I don't get off my feet ( though I tell myself it's early days yet) Still plenty of people are still worst off Iv'e seen that quite few time in my hospital visits

Top Bottom