Anybody own Garmin 530?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

I am looking to buy a Cycling GPS unit, for navigation primarily.

I've read bad reviews about 520 units, but for 530 it seems like an improvement?
Is that true?

Another consideration was the Wahoo roam but 530 is almost £100 cheaper.

vickster

Legendary Member
Will you be planning your routes or wanting just to navigate on the fly?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I do. I can't fault it. It has tons of features, perhaps too many. Great battery life. Hasn't put a foot wrong so far. I've had it for a few months now.

Having said that, I'll try to fault it.

To someone not familiar with the rather arcane Garmin menu system it must be confusing. You do soon get used to your own favourite menu paths though.

I chose it over the 830 because I decided I didn't want touch screen. Scrolling and zooming the map using the keys is a bit fiddly.

I haven't let it loose to do its own on the fly routing. I wouldn't trust any device to do satnav style routing on a bike, ever.

I did consider the Wahoo alternatives which are supposedly a lot more user friendly, but on the basis of price and features, plus my existing investment in the Garmin world, the 530 won.

Mark pallister

I went to a roam after many garmin and it just works ,all the time if you have a smart phone I’d recommend one

garmin puts out new computers for the public to test ,in a years time the 530 software will be sorted

Joffey

Big Dosser
I do. I can't fault it. It has tons of features, perhaps too many. Great battery life. Hasn't put a foot wrong so far. I've had it for a few months now.

Having said that, I'll try to fault it.

To someone not familiar with the rather arcane Garmin menu system it must be confusing. You do soon get used to your own favourite menu paths though.

I chose it over the 830 because I decided I didn't want touch screen. Scrolling and zooming the map using the keys is a bit fiddly.

I haven't let it loose to do its own on the fly routing. I wouldn't trust any device to do satnav style routing on a bike, ever.

I did consider the Wahoo alternatives which are supposedly a lot more user friendly, but on the basis of price and features, plus my existing investment in the Garmin world, the 530 won.

I own a 530 and can vouch for the above too. It's an excellent bit of kit. I have let it navigate me on the fly once - I was lost in Kent and it navigated me back to my start point flawlessly.

Well worth the money.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I went to a roam after many garmin and it just works ,all the time if you have a smart phone I’d recommend one

garmin puts out new computers for the public to test ,in a years time the 530 software will be sorted

I have to say having owned a 510, 520 & 530 in the 530 all the troubles of the past seem to have gone. Mine has been solid. It's a step up from the Wahoos in terms of features and it works. But there is nothing wrong with the Wahoos.

Mark pallister

I have to say having owned a 510, 520 & 530 in the 530 all the troubles of the past seem to have gone. Mine has been solid. It's a step up from the Wahoos in terms of features and it works. But there is nothing wrong with the Wahoos.
Yes quite agree many more features than a roam but how many are really useful
Do you need a computer to tell you it’s time for a drink ?
I had a garmin 1000 when they first came out and after a while you don’t use most of the stuff
In my opinion the pick of the garmin range at the moment is the 130
Does everything you need apart from routing which I never use

si_c

Guru
If you are after just navigation then I have no hesitation also recommending the new Edge Explore - much large screen and broadly the same feature set minus the options for power meters and the like. Consequently much cheaper.

My Dad has just bought one and I'm very very impressed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use the 520 plus and its a cracking unit the only thing its doesn't have is points of interest nav, for me its for club rides so i pln the routes anyway .

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Looks like I will be buying wahoo bolt.
Just one more question, how is the battery life after 1 year or so? For example when it is new it can function for 15hrs. Can it do 15hrs after 1+ years?

si_c

Guru
Battery life is dependent upon recharge cycles. The more you recharge the shorter in terms of years it's life span.

Mark pallister

Looks like I will be buying wahoo bolt.
Just one more question, how is the battery life after 1 year or so? For example when it is new it can function for 15hrs. Can it do 15hrs after 1+ years?
Mine was fine and was well used ,if you have the cash to spare the roam is a worthwhile upgrade

Top Bottom