Anybody use a bike with a pinion drive gearbox ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What's the weight difference over derailleur gears? Massive I bet because the conventional cassette and derailling chain is such a good design and can be built very light.

Rohloff will tell you one of their hubs, a sprocket, single chainring, (shorter) chain and single shifter weighs less than a cassette, triple chainring, two derailers, (longer) chain and two shifters.

There's a video online somewhere of the components on scales to prove it.

I suspect the Pinion is a bit heavier than a Rohloff, but you are getting the widest gear range of all.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Something like that breaks down on the road, I'd assume you'd play L trying to get it fixed again. And all the bicycles which have it cost about $2200.00 or more. I don't know about you guys, as you have a better standard of living than we do, but that's not even in the cards for me, and most people I know.

dmorgorg

Stumbled upon these last night and i wandered just how many if any cc'ers use one or have ridden one ?
I'm not a regular cc-er but @marmoset is my brother and he forwarded a link about Pinions, where I also noticed your query. I have two: a C12 (12 speed) on my full suspension mountain bike and a P18 (18 speed) on my Sonder Broken Road hardtail. Very happy, esp. with the BR. Let me know if you have questions.

dmorgorg

I'd query the ease of maintena
The big advantage with derailleur gears is the ability to chose the ratios you want and to be able to change them to suit. Plus low initial cost and ease of maintenance.
I disagree about ease of maintenance. An oil change every year or 10,000 km. I will be performing the oil change on my wife's bike soon and will know for sure then but I expect an hour, give or take. No adjustments necessary. Expensive up front, for sure, but, in the long run, it should even out. (Having said that, with me at 68, I may not reach that point.) There are, of course, pros and cons but I am extremely happy with my decision.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

I disagree about ease of maintenance. An oil change every year or 10,000 km. I will be performing the oil change on my wife's bike soon and will know for sure then but I expect an hour, give or take. No adjustments necessary. Expensive up front, for sure, but, in the long run, it should even out. (Having said that, with me at 68, I may not reach that point.) There are, of course, pros and cons but I am extremely happy with my decision.
Hi Dave and a Golden morning to you. As you also have a Rohloff hardtail, could you give any thoughts about how they compare?

dmorgorg

Hi Dave and a Golden morning to you. As you also have a Rohloff hardtail, could you give any thoughts about how they compare?
And good morning to you, too, bro.
My trohloff has a rigid front fork and hardtail, I think, generally refers to a bike with front suspension. But a comparison of the two bikes:

The Broken Road is quicker than the trohloff; even with the slightly heavier gearing and the front suspension, the BR (titanium) is slightly lighter than the (steel) Troll. And certainly more fun on the moderately technical (blue) trails I've taken it on. Another difference that may come into play here is the mechanical disc brakes on the Troll vs. hydraulics on the BR.

Comparing the Pinion with the Rohloff: I have 18 speeds on the Pinion, 14 on the Rohloff.

(A lighter and cheaper 12-speed is available for the Pinion - which would be perfectly adequate for a bike used mainly on trails. I chose the 18 speed to have low gears for loaded on-and-off-road touring and smaller gear steps for level tarmac. The total gear range for the Rohloff is 536%, the 12-speed Pinion is 600% and the 18-speed is 640-ish% - I dont remember exactly - compared with the 500% of a modern 1x12 mountain bike. As you know, I don't have a road bike and am not familiar with those gear ranges.)

Weight distribution with the Pinion is better, down where the bottom bracket would be, rather than on the rear hub with a Rohloff. Not such an issue for loaded touring.

Shifting feels crisper on the Pinion than on the Rohloff.

A potential advantage of the Pinion over the Rohloff is that (after you have paid extra for a compatible frame!) it's relatively affordable to have a spare set of wheels. I have 27.5x2.8 now but could see swapping to 29x2.4 for a tour that has a higher proportion of on-road riding. With a Rohloff setup, to have a second set of wheels would require a second gear hub.

As you can tell, I am preferring the Pinion. But the Rohloff remains an excellent piece of kit and I highly recommend them to any rider who finds derailleur a bit of a faff to tune. No such issues with the Rohloff. Although, it would skip some gears in chilly weather (storing overnight in -25C then commuting in -15C. If I were to engage in such nonsense for extended periods, a change to lighter oil is recommended.)

The Pinion is not entirely problem-free. FAQs on the Pinion site refer to oil leaks. My wife's Pinion leaked when it arrived (could it be that DHL's cargo plane didn't have a pressurised hold?) but Pinion says its not a concern to ride dry. I'm away from home at the moment but will perform the regular annual oil change when I return and see if the leak problem has disappeared. I also vaguely remember a YouTube video where a leak was solved by tightening some bolts that were under-torqued from the factory. If all else fails, it is covered by warranty and the North American dealer is standing by to replace if necessary.

Which reminds me of another slight advantage of the Pinion. If I need to send it for warranty work, it's a relatively simple matter to remove the gear box. With a Rohloff, you have to dismantle the wheel.

Drago

Legendary Member

An hour. So probably 55 minutes longer than even the most involved taks involved when maintaining a derailleur system. New mech, new chain, new cable, a good solid clean...5 minutes work apiece.

Im sure thr Pinuon is great, but you're over egging that particular benefit.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
An hour. So probably 55 minutes longer than even the most involved taks involved when maintaining a derailleur system. New mech, new chain, new cable, a good solid clean...5 minutes work apiece.

Yes, but it's an hour a year (or 10,000km). I'm sure a derailleur drivetrain needs more than 5 minutes attention over that time.

dmorgorg

Then you're a much better mechanic than I. The oil change would probably take you 10 minutes, most of which would be watching oil drain. My hour, for the first time around, would include YouTube research. :smile:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think it's a good idea but just wonder if it's an over complication of what a bike was originally a simple design but people said the same when sti's arrived

Cleaning derailleur gears at home is easier than when on tour. I procured a baked bean can, a toothbrush, a piece of wire, rag, and the dregs of diesel from a petrol station pump.
It took a while to get all of the sticky black gunk off.
Once you have finished, your cleaning tools are really too dirty to carry.
My Alfine runs much cleaner but I would not recomend as tour worthy because the oil change is a workshop operation.
Pinion is supposed to be more waterproof than Rohloff for river ford crossings.

Top Bottom