Anybody used Specialized BG footbeds and shims?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I feel as if my left foot could do with being positioned differently on the pedal - not quite sure how but it's definitely uncomfortable compared to the right. Seen some Spesh BG footbeds plus green +++ shims going cheap on Velorider and thought I might buy them and have a fiddle around. They are 43-44 and my shoe is 42 but I'm sure they can be trimmed?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Green fotbeds are for very high arches, I have high ones but the green is too high for me, I've gone to the blue ones and they fit perfectly and feel like they give more support. I've tried the shims and can feel the difference though for me riding without is better.

As for trimming, yes you could trim them down however you'd have to work out where to cut, front and back to keep the support in the right place, personally at £25 for new ones I'd get them new and know they are right for me/my shoes

Jonathan M

Not the same, I know, but I have Spesh BG MTB shoes, and really find the position they put my foot into to be uncomfy and "abnormal" in feel. But no pain, so still wear them until they fall apart a bit more.

redjedi

Über Member
I've just had a BG fitting done, and the best thing they did for me was to put the shims on the shoes. I've got one set on the inside and one under the cleats (if I had BG shoes I would only need 1 or the other). This stopped my knees from making a figure 8 pattern apparently, and since then I haven't had any pain in my knees at all (I would occassionally get an aching in the inside of my knees).
They also put some washers on my pedal spindles to move them away from the bike.

I had problems with my left shoe and finally worked out that because it was weaker I wasn't quite pedalling in the same way as with my right foot - so I concentrated on maintaining identical postures and that has done the trick.

Top Bottom