Anyone a mature student ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

I'm another one - 35 now and 4 years through a 6 year part time PhD. Sometimes I wonder why i'm doing it.....

I tihnk most mature students do have a better attitude towards learning as they really want to be at uni and know what they're giving up (job / money) to be there. For them it's not just something you do at 18 cos it's 'expected' or all your friends are going and you might not necessarily know what you want to do in the long run.

mightyquin

Wow, I'm currently having similar thoughts myself. I'm bored with the day job, though it pays well and I've been doing the same kind of work now for 20 yrs.

I'm torn between becoming a mature student doing an art/photography/media related course, or selling my home to buy a business instead. I'm hesitating because I'm wondering if its just a mid life crisis, but I thought that when I decided to buy a single speed bike and I'm loving that!

Life really is too short to be unhappy with what you're doing, and I've been thinking of some of the things I wanted to do in the past but put off, some of which I'll never have the chance to do again.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I had #3 when I was 32 I knew then that i didn't want to stay in my profession, but had no idea what I wanted to do, I enrolled in a couple of evening classes, It & Digital graphics, more really for something to keep my brain occupied. I then decided that I could redo my old O levels, just to 'refresh' my memory & stop me drowning in babytalk & nappies!
#3 came along a week after my 34 birthday, I started helpling out at a local playgroup & went bcak to college to study childcare & early years develpment, then did a couple of NVQ's...it just spirralled
Before I knew it I was training to be a teacher - anyone who knew me at school will know what a ridiculous notion this was :biggrin:
But here I am 41, and have the most amazing job, yes it was hard going at times, there were weeks, months even when I wondered why i was doing it, bills were pilling up, but now i have the most amazing job, i work with children with special needs, I can't wait to get to work in a morning, and best of all I no longer have to work evenings, weekends & every school holiday I get to spend time with my own children - something I missed out on alot with #1

So i'd definaly say follow your heart & do it... Life is too short to sit & wonder if you'll regret things But one is certain - you'll regret not trying even more X

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
mightyquinn is there any chance you can do some work in the area you're thinking of moving into - one of the ones you've posted is the area I'm moving into. To give yourself a better idea of what you want to move into?
I'd done some paid commissions so knew what I was letting myself in for- it's not easy working as a photographer and it can be very hard to make a living.

Also if your job is well paid-save that money now- you'll need it for equipment and months and months when you're not working.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Do it. I left a crap deadend job at 30 (having done an OU BA degree part time and got a third), and came to York to to Archaeology full time. It was almost a whim, I don't know to this day quite what made me do it, I just woke up one day and had the idea.

11 years later, I have first class BSc, an MSc, and a not quite PhD - I gave it up when things went a bit pearshaped. I'm in two jobs, neither connected with my degrees, and living happily on fairly modest means. But I wouldn't have missed my Uni time for all the world.

As a mature student, you have many advantages, and the main one is that, however many essay deadlines you have, it's a million times better than going day in day out to a job you dislike - something most 18 year old just can't appreciate. Staff like you because you tend to be dependable, and, well, mature, and you're there because you want to be, not because it's something all your mates were doing and your Mum sort of expected you to go to Uni, and anyway what else was there to do to put off getting a real job....

Enjoy.

Oh, and my Mum graduated at 73, 3 years ago.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I am starting College in August to do Highers to allow me to go on and do things in the future. I would like to work in Haemotology or alternatively Brain Injury due to my background, but I'd be happy, nay, privileged to to do anything medical (although being a nurse has never appealed for some reason).
I'll never be a doctor (you can all sleep safe!), I know that, but I'd love to get as far as I can anyway and, who knows what the future will bring!

I'm 29 by the way.

If all that comes to nothing, then I can go back to working in special needs schools which I enjoyed immensely.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I'm a mature student, I jacked in a career in engineering to go back to uni to study psychology, four years part-time, starting at the advanced age of 32. Luckily, I got in a couple of years before the tuition fees went sky-high - I am just about to enter the final year and I believe that those entering the first year are now paying 5x what I am being charged. I'm on course for a 1st because I am used to the discipline of work and hoping to do a Master's in Clinical Psychology or straight on to PhD; I shudder to think what the fees will be!

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I had #3 when I was 32 I knew then that i didn't want to stay in my profession, but had no idea what I wanted to do, I enrolled in a couple of evening classes, It & Digital graphics, more really for something to keep my brain occupied. I then decided that I could redo my old O levels, just to 'refresh' my memory & stop me drowning in babytalk & nappies!
#3 came along a week after my 34 birthday, I started helpling out at a local playgroup & went bcak to college to study childcare & early years develpment, then did a couple of NVQ's...it just spirralled
Before I knew it I was training to be a teacher - anyone who knew me at school will know what a ridiculous notion this was :biggrin:
But here I am 41, and have the most amazing job, yes it was hard going at times, there were weeks, months even when I wondered why i was doing it, bills were pilling up, but now i have the most amazing job, i work with children with special needs, I can't wait to get to work in a morning, and best of all I no longer have to work evenings, weekends & every school holiday I get to spend time with my own children - something I missed out on alot with #1

So i'd definaly say follow your heart & do it... Life is too short to sit & wonder if you'll regret things But one is certain - you'll regret not trying even more X

The finance side is a bit worrying and to be honest the job i am doing is well paid as motortrade goes but the the fact i am stuck inside doing 40+ hours a week plus Saturdays when i should be outside mixing with like minded people hopfully improving the enviroment.The college i am going to is one of the best in this field,they even have Otters in the river that flows through the grounds !
I'm doing it and everyone on here has helped by being so enthusiastic about their own experiences,cheers peeps !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not currently, but I was a first-time drop out who eventually decided to go back and do it properly as a mature student aged 28. I graduated aged 30.

Good luck Skud!

(And if you can make it up to my Dales ride, you'd be welcome to join us.)

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
My wife has just wrapped up her uni course, we're awaiting test results but in a month or so she'll be a qualified radiographer.
4 years of slog mind, 1 year access to science course which she aced (highest marks for the lot got in the papers ;) )
then 3 years at liverpool uni and dotting in and out of placement. she's 30.
when she's all setup with a job its my turn, i'll prolly hit college for a woodland/countryside management course first then look at my options, i'm 31 ;)
i mean tbh i have the patience now to do these courses, i didn't when i was 18.
pete

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Not currently, but I was a first-time drop out who eventually decided to go back and do it properly as a mature student aged 28. I graduated aged 30.

Good luck Skud!

(And if you can make it up to my Dales ride, you'd be welcome to join us.)

Hope to do this Colin if i can get a pass out but i'm doing the Cotswolds Classic Audax the weekend before and i could be pushing my luck !

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
My wife has just wrapped up her uni course, we're awaiting test results but in a month or so she'll be a qualified radiographer.
4 years of slog mind, 1 year access to science course which she aced (highest marks for the lot got in the papers ;) )
then 3 years at liverpool uni and dotting in and out of placement. she's 30.
when she's all setup with a job its my turn, i'll prolly hit college for a woodland/countryside management course first then look at my options, i'm 31 ;)
i mean tbh i have the patience now to do these courses, i didn't when i was 18.
pete

I think that is the main plus point for doing this sort of thing at "our age",we have more life skills and know better what we want after all these years.My tutor prefers the older student just for these facts alone,cannot wait now to go back to school !!!

Top Bottom