Anyone a mature student ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
At the moment i am in the early stages of binning a job i have no interest in anymore to go to college and learn a totally new career.I am very exited about doing something i could not afford to do when i was younger but also scared $hitle$$ about how me and my family are going to cope with proberly a drop in income (although there are many,many things i am sure i can claim for).
Bottom line...anyone else done the same thing of stuff it and take the risk to improve lifestyle/future job prospects ????

I graduate next week. Visit the student union (make an appointment to see an advisor) and find out if there is anything you can claim for but I'm solo so I only have to think about self. Also at 35 I wasn't the oldest on my MSc, there seems to be plenty of mature students these days.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I'm a mature student and will be moving to London to continue my studies.

Best thing I ever did. Get in now before the fees rocket mind you. Contact Student Finance England for grant and loans and you will get the full whack, although your OH finances will be taken into account I think. If not, you will get about 6 grand per year.

There will be a small drop in income as you cannot work FT but, the grants and loans will make up for most of that, it will not be for long and it will be worth it in the end. I can't wait to go back after a year out (back op).

I hope this helps and good luck.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yes, me too I left a job in what I thought I wanted to do last year. Got some stuff to sort with the health currently but looking at doing a course in the career change (though word from peers in the industry is that may not really be necessary).

My reasoning was: financial stability is nice but it's not what makes you satisfied.
I didn't want to live my life always thinking what if?

Go for it - short term sacrifices for longer term gain.

What area are you studying? Are you able to get a bursary/grant HlaB'S suggestion of seeing the advisor is a very useful thing. Is it possible to do part time work etc?

I was 35 when I started a 4-year BA Hons in Norwich.

My degree was language-based (Scandinavian) and as I've lived in Sweden and Norway, I would say that the degree certainly helped, but it isn't vocational, and nor was it necessary, as I could have moved here and learnt the languages 'on site'.

But a degree looks good on a CV.

Whether or not I remain in Scandinavia remains to be seen, and should I move elsewhere, then my language 'skills' will no longer be useful, and something else will need to be done, so have a bit of a think about what you will study.

If I was younger, then I would have studied carpentry or car mechanics, as there is always a demand for well qualified tradesmen and you can work almost anywhere.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed my years at uni and made some very good friends and met a lot of good people.

Good luck in making your decision - I'm sure that it'll be right.

Well done, HLab, too!

Bloody hell, has three years gone by already? Hope you find a suitable position, soon!

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Oh good i'm not as daft as i thought for taking such a risk !
I am studying Countryside management which is basically everything to with wildlife conservation,warden service,countryside skills ect,ect.Hopefully this will get me into a career that involves being outside a lot,dealing with all sorts of people and doing something i should have done many,many years ago.It is going to be hard as i have not been in any sort of education since i was 16 but the course tutor says that us older students have a better outlook on learning and have "life" skills our younger counterparts do not have.
Mrs Skud has a part time job working evenings so the income will not be brilliant from that.On the plus side we will be able to claim various grants for the kids ect...at last i can have some of that money back i have being paying into the state for nearly 30 years !!!!
I will be like a battery hen being allowed out for the first time into the daylight !!!!!!!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Good for you mate!!

I'm fairly young (for a mature student but still considered one) but it sounds like you're doing the right thing.
I'd chuck in an application for working tax credits from your wife asap as they might be trying to get rid of it soon (if her number of working hours fits- think it's 35 hours), income support for less that that- however, with the current government all these grants etc and some of they are very hard to get even though you fall into all the criteria

Have you considered organisations that employ people in those roles or charities that might offer a grant to cover some costs?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I am studying Countryside management which is basically everything to with wildlife conservation,warden service,countryside skills ect,ect.Hopefully this will get me into a career that involves being outside a lot,dealing with all sorts of people and doing something i should have done many,many years ago.It is going to be hard as i have not been in any sort of education since i was 16 but the course tutor says that us older students have a better outlook on learning and have "life" skills our younger counterparts do not have.
Mrs Skud has a part time job working evenings so the income will not be brilliant from that.On the plus side we will be able to claim various grants for the kids ect...at last i can have some of that money back i have being paying into the state for nearly 30 years !!!!
I will be like a battery hen being allowed out for the first time into the daylight !!!!!!!

Well if my taxes are going to help subsidise students ... someone studying countryside management sounds just the ticket! Good luck with it!

cookiemonster

Legendary Member

I'm about to do Msc Biodiversity and Conservation.
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cheers for the big boost everyone ! This is a thing i should have done instead of going into the motortrade.
Working tax credit is being sorted as we speak.
Local National Trust is being approuched aswell.....better keep an eye out for Potsy,i''l be chasing him off the grass !!!

I started my Doctorate at 52, and am a youngster!

There is one Gentleman I met who started his degree at 70, and one lady doing a degree in her 80's

I was a young 25 year old mature (yeah right) student once.
It was the best thing I ever mustered the courage up to actually do (well, apart from being a Dad). There were times when I was close to walking, but it really is one of the most satisfying things you can do. Being and older student also means that you really want to do it, rather than following the sheeple from 6th form or whatever.

Mature students generally get better grades...do it, you and your family will manage. You really will. Then you will all be better for it.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

I didn't realise you could start a Masters degree without a Bachelor's degree, unless you're signing up for the full four year course.

Top Bottom