England : Cheshire Anyone a member of the Weaver Valley cycling club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Title says it all. was wondering about the Weaver Valley cycling club. wanted to know if anyone in this area was a member before I make enquiries about joining them. Main issue is that they seem to only do Saturday runs, and that is traditionally our day off from exercise, oh that and a rather frightening 60-80 mile standard route claim from their website... bit more than I can manage tbh.

http://www.weavervalleycc.org.uk/ai1ec_event/saturday-ride/?instance_id=230

Christopher

Über Member
No but there is the North Chesire Clarion who are Warrington-based but who sometimes run out from Stretton on Sundays:
http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/roaddiary.html
What they are like as a club I don't know. Might be worth a look though

lanternerouge

Veteran
Randomly I have just come on here to say what a good time I had going out with Weaver Valley this week! I went on the short run today - we did 40 miles at about 15 mph with a cafe stop. Very civilised and all about encouraging new riders - incredibly refreshing. They do a lot more than the Sat rides, SNSSO, today they had 3 rides going out - short, medium (60 to Eureka Café) and a long 80 miler to the peaks. Medium ride is a decent pace apparently and the long one is fast! They also do a Wednesday morning "wrinklies" ride from Hatchmere which is actually ridden at a strong pace depending on who is out- I did it last week (half term) and it was fun.

Having also tried NCC last year I would say I had a much more enjoyable experience with Weaver Valley. I gave up after being dropped 4 weeks in a row by NC whereas I can't wait to go out with Weaver Valley again next week! Just my opinion of course, I know NCC do a lot with youth riders and am sure it is a great club, just wasn't for me at the time.

Anyway, I recommend you give Weaver Valley a try. They also have track sessions, MTB rides and are the most welcoming club I have come across. :smile:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Randomly I have just come on here to say what a good time I had going out with Weaver Valley this week! I went on the short run today - we did 40 miles at about 15 mph with a cafe stop. Very civilised and all about encouraging new riders - incredibly refreshing. They do a lot more than the Sat rides, SNSSO, today they had 3 rides going out - short, medium (60 to Eureka Café) and a long 80 miler to the peaks. Medium ride is a decent pace apparently and the long one is fast! They also do a Wednesday morning "wrinklies" ride from Hatchmere which is actually ridden at a strong pace depending on who is out- I did is last week (half term) and it was fun.

Having also tried NCC last year I would say I had a much more enjoyable experience with Weaver Valley. I gave up after being dropped 4 weeks in a row by NC whereas I can't wait to go out with Weaver Valley again next week! Just my opinion of course, I know NCC do a lot with youth riders and am sure it is a great club, just wasn't for me at the time.

Anyway, I recommend you give Weaver Valley a try. They also have track sessions, MTB rides and are the most welcoming club I have come across. :smile:

thank you. Their website does not give any of that information away which is why I have been putting off joining them... they are also the closest club - NCC is that far away from me that by the time I have cycled there and back, I won't need to go out! Hartford on the other hand is only about 5 miles away, so getting there is not an issue.
Probably can't do this week, given I have a really bad cold and it affects my asthma badly, but it sounds like what I am looking for... will contact them in the near future. Much appreciated.

billy1561

BB wrecker
No but there is the North Chesire Clarion who are Warrington-based but who sometimes run out from Stretton on Sundays:
http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/roaddiary.html
What they are like as a club I don't know. Might be worth a look though
I've been out with these a couple of times and they are a friendly bunch and definately wait for the slowest rider as they say on the web site. The saturday rides are around 15 -16 mph for 25 -30 miles. Sundays are longer (up to 60) and quicker. They set off in groups i believe with the quickest going first.
I personally found the Saturday rides very entertaining and useful as a skills learning tool.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I used to do track sessions with the weaver valley lads- nice bunch. They also have a regular race on the north west CX calendar. Good club. There's also some hard riders in there- I was up in ingleborough a couple of years ago during one of those really cold snaps and there was half a dozen weavers in full kit doing through and off past the ribblehead viaduct. It was -5. And a good 80 miles away from northwich. Don't let that put you off though- ther's a good spread of abilities and no snottiness as I've found at least.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Thanks all - have taken the plunge and contacted them to do some trial rides with them. Going out this Sunday on their shorter ride (40-50miles) hoping I can keep up and not slow them down too much. Managed at 30 miles ride by myself last night and it was only the failing light and the fact I have a "be seen" rather than a "see with" front light that stopped me going further.

lanternerouge

Veteran
I'll be out on that one SatNav, see you there! :smile:

lanternerouge

Veteran
... And annoyingly I now have a crappy cold this morning. Even optimistically putting my cycling kit on hasn't helped! Enjoy the ride SatNav, see you next week all being well. Sure you will enjoy it.

billy1561

BB wrecker
yes thanks - think I held them up rather a lot towards the end, though. ended up doing nearly 55 miles which tbh was rather a lot more than I was expecting, so it was getting rather difficult for me. But it was a good day and good weather as well, so exhausted but happy!
That's a great effort considering you are still in recovery mode, well done!

Top Bottom