Anyone been to Bournemouth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've got some days booked off but not got any fixed plans. Was thinking of going to Bournemouth (or that area) for a short break with my family (wife plus 2 teens and a 7y/o). Is there plenty to do there? I'm more concerned about what to do if the weather is bad, really. Is it a good place to go for a family break?
Best Regards
Maz

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I've got some days booked off but not got any fixed plans. Was thinking of going to Bournemouth (or that area) for a short break with my family (wife plus 2 teens and a 7y/o). Is there plenty to do there? I'm more concerned about what to do if the weather is bad, really. Is it a good place to go for a family break?
Best egards
Maz

If you are going that way go to the New Forest. Loads to do, beautiful place, fantastic for cyclists and great pubs. You would be mad to go to Bournemouth.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm not super-local, but often ride through the New Forest to Bournemouth and have days out on the beach, so I guess I have a visitor's perspective. When Bolletta was tiny it was a favourite destination, so I've got some happy memories.

The good thing about Bournemouth is that it's effectively a small city by the beach, so you have all the amenities.and the transport is also good, so you can get out and about if you need to. Unfortunately it seems to have been hard by the recession so, although the public spaces are well kept, the high street areas are looking very, very shabby. It can also get a little lively in the evenings. The Odeon in the centre is a flea pit.

The opportunities for family riding are good - the ride along the beach path from Christchurch to Poole is doable for littlish legs (about 4m climbing total) but still feels like an achievement.

Eid Mubarak for tomorrow BTW (or Friday - make your mind up! ;-) )

Reactions: Maz

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
If by chance you do hit the Forest and your family like cycling i can recommend theNew Forest cycle hire at Brockenhurst Station, though i would book in advance at this time of year. The bikes always appear to be well maintained when i have taken friends there and the route maps and directions ( loads) are very good an are for all types or rides and distances. There are loads of camp/caravan sites there too and some lovely beaches not too far away either.
I don't live there but have spent a lot of time over the years down there and always recommend it as there is something for every one and few people fail to go a bit daft seeing the ponies with their foals.

U

User482

It's where old people go to expire.

Oddly, it was a pretty lively night out I had there a few years back. Perhaps all the people I saw don't live there...

Heading west from Bournemouth, Poole has a lovely beach and there's nice walking and pubs over on the Swanage side, which you can reach by chain ferry.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's where old people go to expire.

Oddly, it was a pretty lively night out I had there a few years back. Perhaps all the people I saw don't live there...
True - Bournemouth itself certainly isn't a retirement town. A lot of financial and insurance companies have or had offices there, which brought in a lot of younger employment in the 1990s and early 2000s. The University has an influence and there are a lot of Eastern European people working in the holiday and service sectors. Some of the outskirts though live up to the genteel reputation. I get my car serviced in Ferndown, which is what God's waiting room would look like if it was run by BUPA.

Top Bottom