Anyone bought a fitted bedroom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the process of buying a new house at the moment - is a new build and not ready til March next year so time isn't too much of an issue. The house is a three storey town house, with the master bedroom on the very top floor. This mean we get huge floor space, but sloping walls at the edges, meaning normal sized wardrobes and cupboards won't maximize the space very well.

I've found a couple of sites advertising fitted bedrooms, but what none of those sites give prices! It's a bit naughty really as one site even advertises a current 'half price sale' - how do you do that when you won't give even a rough idea of price! Seems license to quote your own price personally... Googling for an idea throws up suggestions of 3,000 to 23,000, so I thought I'd throw it out to you good folk and eye of any of you had personal experience.

screenman

Legendary Member
7 years ago when we built this house we were only allowed a dormer style, the fitted cupboards along one wall cost £2200 and the fitter took a week making a great job.The wall is 14ft and they were floor to ceiling.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
As it's bespoke you will have to pay a bit more. Worth getting a local joinery firm in to provide a quote to put carcassing frame in with solid ply verticals and cross pieces, all pre-drilled for Ikea pegs.- then you can buy prefabricated Ikea fittings to suit, eg hanging rails, sliding drawers, shoe storage racks/ adjustable shelves and the like, as long as the spaces between the framing is the right gap to fit the Ikea stuff in. That way it's flexible for changing needs over the years. Then you can fit sliding doors or full height doors on the front to suit the height you have.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My experince is that fitted bedroom furniture is a total racket, a bit like double glazing and kitchens.
avoid the big companies as they will just rip you off. (the half price stuff is nonsense)
I like the idea of getting a local chippy to fit something bespoke.

tadpole

Did 14 years ago, fell to bits with in a few years. Got a carpenter in to fix it, and he showed me where the other company had bodged the job so badly I had to have the bedroom ceiling re plastered (they'd hung several sliding door frames from the plaster ceiling , missing joists completely, They just put lots of fasteners and gripfil till it held the frame long enough to cash the cheque and scarper) lesson learnt.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Call your local carpenter and get it made how you want and to your requirements . Ive done this type of work for years .

This ^ Get a couple of chippies in to quote...they'll probably each have their own suggestions so will give you an idea of what is possible and you can go with the option that works best for you. Not really 'internet purchase' domain...

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Thanks everyone for the advice so far - seems the carpenter route is the recommended one. Are they likely to be able to source the actual fittings as well, or would it be a case of me having to source the actual fittings and they just do the installation?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
They will be able to source anything and normally of better quality . I use Hafele or Wurth for my stuff as they supply either grass or blum fittings . Top of the range stuff only with me :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Just a thought though - how do carpenters prices compare to the big companies - the Wickes, Home base, Sharps etc? More, less or pretty much the same?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Usually more..... but if you get a decent chippy to do the job it wont fall apart in 12 months (unlike the shoot from Wickes).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Pay for a jobbing carpenter joiner recommended by people by the day and buy the materials through him from his usual builder's merchant + cost of fittings from Ikea wholesale?
Avoid Wickes, Homebase and B+Q if you can.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive quoted a solid ash wardrobes against sharps and came in at half the price . Mine was solid ash at 4k sharps was veneered ash chipboard at 7k . The customer went with sharps and then knocked them for the money :eek:

Top Bottom