Anyone bought a fitted bedroom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We have just had a loft conversion done and Mrs Ian wanted bespoke fitted wardrobes along one wall. 3 sets of wardrobes with double doors, in each wardrobe there are 3 sliding drawers, full length mirrors on reverse of 2 of the doors, all handles etc . We got a local indie company in, their prices were not that much different to bigger companies that quoted us like Hammonds and Sharps. Cost? Not much change out of 3 and a half grand.

I was aghast at the price, but must admit, they are very well made to exact specs and colour and do look very nice.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You also have the MDF and paint it yourself option . Most of mine like that are around the 1k mark .
Where are you based ? I help run a woodwork forum and there may be someone on there that could give you a price .

pplpilot

Guru
We had some fitted ones built in the most awkward space imaginable, exactly with the draws we wandted, amount of hanger space etc. a smallish local fim did them, any spec you wanted fixed price of if i recall £800 a mtr .

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ikea have a PAX system wardrobe planner where you fill in the dimensions you have to work to, for the space in the room you want to fit, and then plan the space using standard pre fab fittings.... all yoiu need to do is get your carpenter/joiner to make the ply or MDF gable verticals to match the centres of the PAX side panels and pick the infill fittings you want and they'll fit, alternatively buy the units and cut them down to fit the ceiling slope...
Here's the IKEA PAX planner webpage... [it should load up]
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/planner_pax3d/index.html?icid=gb|iba|20140131|97

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Pay for a jobbing carpenter joiner recommended by people by the day and buy the materials through him from his usual builder's merchant + cost of fittings
Ikea have a PAX system wardrobe planner where you fill in the dimensions you have to work to, for the space in the room you want to fit, and then plan the space using standard pre fab fittings.... all yoiu need to do is get your carpenter/joiner to make the ply or MDF gable verticals to match the centres of the PAX side panels and pick the infill fittings you want and they'll fit, alternatively buy the units and cut them down to fit the ceiling slope...
Here's the IKEA PAX planner webpage... [it should load up]
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/planner_pax3d/index.html?icid=gb|iba|20140131|97

Dear god, does that mean I have to walk through that entire store yet again despite knowing the department I want...

In all seriousness though, thanks for that, very worth bearing in mind!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
No, do not go to an IKEA, except to measure the position and centres for the peg holes for the adjustable infill fittings between the vertical gables! .... just try the webpage planner to plan your space and play around with the combination of fittings that will suit what you need, it'll help to work out what you can fit in the space you have, ie how much rail space, where it needs to go for the height you have [usually 1500 vertical clear space clothes hanging for dresses and coats, 1200 vertical clear space for suits and shirts], how long the racks for shoes needs to be, how many open shelves or drawers you need, and where the mirrors need to be... + what area is left above the fixed things you need for higher shelving for things used less often. Oh and get some vacuum bags for storing duvets.... they're great!

That way if you plan it all you can give clear and detailed instructions to your carpenter/joiner- the more you think about what you need, before you get someone in, the better and more accurate the price will be...

pauldavid

Veteran
We bought a bungalow last year with 2 bedrooms in what was once the loft space. We looked at all of the big name stores that do this sort of thing and none of them inspired a lot of confidence when they visited to measure up and give ideas. This was mostly because one of the rooms meant contending with 3 opposing angles meaning that it really was a very difficult job to make work.

We eventually found a small local company that not only gave us ideas on things we hadn't considered but suggested alternative ideas from their experience that made the finished product even better than we could have hoped. The price they gave us was roughly two thirds of their competitors quotes.

They have completed all of the work to absolute perfection and I have recommended them to many people since. So my advice is to find a local supplier.

Top Bottom