Anyone built/got a Kinesis Maxlight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

The time is coming. Currently trying to decide between a xc130 or the xc3. The 130 has a slightly slacker head angle.

knew someone on another forum who used to race them, partly because he got them as part of his sponsorship, partly because he liked them, a lot.

no idea if that's any help.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

knew someone on another forum who used to race them, partly because he got them as part of his sponsorship, partly because he liked them, a lot.

no idea if that's any help.
All positive reports are most welcome, though as said earlier, I won't be buying their more race oriented frame. Just waiting to hear back concerning the tech spec of the xc3 and what length fork was assumed for the given frame angles as it's fork range is 90 to 120 and whether running 120 forks would slacken them a tadge.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
All positive reports are most welcome, though as said earlier, I won't be buying their more race oriented frame. Just waiting to hear back concerning the tech spec of the xc3 and what length fork was assumed for the given frame angles as it's fork range is 90 to 120 and whether running 120 forks would slacken them a tadge.

Blimey Crax, waiting for you to get this Maxlight built is like waiting for MacB to show up on a ride and get the beers in. When I saw the thread bumped I thought there were going to be pictures of new shiny things...

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Kinesis replied and I shall almost certainly go for a red XC3 with a 120 fork

xc3-red1.jpg

I may wait until this thread is exactly one year old before I buy it though :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Me likey !

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sound choice Crackle old luv. That's a very nice looking frame, and your choice of a slacker geo is IMHO worthy. What have you got lined up to build it with? Anything in mind?

Kinesis replied and I shall almost certainly go for a red XC3 with a 120 fork

xc3-red1.jpg

I may wait until this thread is exactly one year old before I buy it though :whistle:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Sound choice Crackle old luv. That's a very nice looking frame, and your choice of a slacker geo is IMHO worthy. What have you got lined up to build it with? Anything in mind?

Tah. No cemented ideas yet, in fact I was going to look for input from the forum. Roughly looking at a decent but not top line build. So initial thoughts were Rockshox Recon or Reba forks, wheels I'm thinking of building, probably a DT rim with a Shimano hub, trying to decide between SRAM or Shimano running gear, no idea on brakes yet or finishing kit. Still open to the idea of a donor bike but it's fading as I'd really like to pick the stuff I want and it will take a few months as I set funds aside. Also it will take me a while to build the wheels, if I go that route.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Tah. No cemented ideas yet, in fact I was going to look for input from the forum. Roughly looking at a decent but not top line build. So initial thoughts were Rockshox Recon or Reba forks, wheels I'm thinking of building, probably a DT rim with a Shimano hub, trying to decide between SRAM or Shimano running gear, no idea on brakes yet or finishing kit. Still open to the idea of a donor bike but it's fading as I'd really like to pick the stuff I want and it will take a few months as I set funds aside. Also it will take me a while to build the wheels, if I go that route.

Hmm, interesting. Given the proliferation of German sites selling Shimano at jaw-dropping prices I reckon you should be in with a fair chance of getting a decent bike together. Can I ask why Shimano hubs? I really think cup and cone should be consigned to history, especially as there are so many good solid cheap cartridge bearing hubs around. For example, Novatec hubs are (almost) as cheap as Shimano, and are used by Superstar and possibly On One for their builds. (eBay is your friend here). You'd probably get a pair of Superstar wheels for the price of the parts in any case!

Will it be all new or selected used components?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Hmm, interesting. Given the proliferation of German sites selling Shimano at jaw-dropping prices I reckon you should be in with a fair chance of getting a decent bike together. Can I ask why Shimano hubs? I really think cup and cone should be consigned to history, especially as there are so many good solid cheap cartridge bearing hubs around. For example, Novatec hubs are (almost) as cheap as Shimano, and are used by Superstar and possibly On One for their builds. (eBay is your friend here). You'd probably get a pair of Superstar wheels for the price of the parts in any case!

Will it be all new or selected used components?

I'll have a look at Novatec, I'm not sure I looked at them, I did look at Hope and DT but thought they were out my budget, hence looking at Shimano, which seemed in budget. I'm not sure cup and cone have had their day yet but I'm open to convincing, I've read pro's and cons for both.

I'll look at the Superstar wheels too and it could be I decide to buy not build. The build took my fancy because it gave me a chance to build the wheel to a 'look'. After all, the beauty of building your own bike is you get to make it how you want, otherwise you may as well buy one whole.

German websites hadn't escaped my attention and at this moment I plan to buy new bits or good used of which the forks may well fall into the latter category.

I think I have a spreadsheet somewhere with some rough budget figures for the build on. Once I get the frame, I'll re-visit it and adjust it to reality.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'll have a look at Novatec, I'm not sure I looked at them, I did look at Hope and DT but thought they were out my budget, hence looking at Shimano, which seemed in budget. I'm not sure cup and cone have had their day yet but I'm open to convincing, I've read pro's and cons for both.

I'll look at the Superstar wheels too and it could be I decide to buy not build. The build took my fancy because it gave me a chance to build the wheel to a 'look'. After all, the beauty of building your own bike is you get to make it how you want, otherwise you may as well buy one whole.

German websites hadn't escaped my attention and at this moment I plan to buy new bits or good used of which the forks may well fall into the latter category.

I think I have a spreadsheet somewhere with some rough budget figures for the build on. Once I get the frame, I'll re-visit it and adjust it to reality.

I jotted down what I would have spent on my hardtail had I bought all the parts new at retail price. Ridiculous! I built it by convincing myself I'd transfer all the kit from my Cube XC bike, and where I wanted to change components I'd sell the old stuff and scour the net for bargains and as you say, good used parts. Now the journey is finally at an end, the only parts that were on my Cube are the shifters, the crank spider and the fork. :blush:

Top Bottom