Anyone buy those instant oats / porridge pots?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It wasn't confined to shepherds. Though it seems to be confined to the Scots.

My granny had a porridge drawer too. I used to get slabs cut out and sprinkled with sugar to make them more palatable before they were given to me.

She also made clootie pudding but that's straying from the oats thread.
My mum told me about the porridge drawer in the family croft. The menfolk used to cut their porridge slabs, wrap them in brown paper and take them in their pockets when they went out to work in the fields.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
1836462 said:
That is surprising, I would have guessed that you would hate them.
It is an odd recommendation. A more cynical sort might suspect foul play.

ladyjulian

I like the apple flavoured Oatso Simple when I'm camping.

I usually find porridge about as appealing as a bowl of glue, so that's quite a recommendation.

mr Mag00

rising member
wow 3 quotes in a row!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That's AMAZING.

I have oats or oatbran in my protein shakes, always buy supermarket own brand oats if I'm buying porridge oats, so much cheaper!

Could I suggest, if you didn't want to add sugar, buying a bag of own brand oats and mixing in a large bag of raisins - I find that this, added with hot or cold milk, makes it sweet enough for a really nice porridge / muesli vibe without adding extra sugars. Then just stick some in a Tupperware container and eat it from there.

Can't be bothered to read all the thread ^_^ but confirm this, I do it most days: any porridge/muesli/ whatever you like to add ( I like, dried figs, dated, nuts, banana chips, sultanas) put in tupperware, add hot or cold milk (even the porridge is eatable on cold milk), hot water if on a diet :laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sure I've heard of people putting oats and boiling water in a Thermos flask, and then leaving it to cook overnight, or in the time taken to commute. That might be long enough to cook the oats?

endoman

If stopping away in a cheap hotel etc and no access to a microwave they are great, Shall be taking a couple over to the etape in case I can't get a decent brekkie over there.

caimg

Über Member
I'm sure I've heard of people putting oats and boiling water in a Thermos flask, and then leaving it to cook overnight, or in the time taken to commute. That might be long enough to cook the oats?

And then what? Adding them to milk or eating as is?

Arch

Married to Night Train
And then what? Adding them to milk or eating as is?

Well I think you might be able to eat them as is, but some milk would add creaminess. Might be worth experimenting - I don't know for sure it works, but I'm sure I've read it.

I think people have used a similar idea to cook rice or pasta for supper while on tour - bung it in the thermos in the morning, have it cooked for dinner.

Top Bottom