Anyone cleaned their sensor on their digital SLR?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got quite a bit of dust on mine now, clearly visible on skies and plain backgrounds.

I seem to remember there's a kit you can buy. Anyone done it?

Check the instructions. Some brands have a cleaning program/system built in.

Melvil

I know Jessops and co do a wee 'blower brush' in which you take the lense off, make sure the shutter is on permanent release and then blow the dust away (totally inadvisable to touch the sensor if at all possible).

However.

Personally speaking I'm far too much of a nancy to go down that route, just in case I damage the sensor. I know a lot of shops offer a sensor cleaning service for about £30 - might be worth asking around.

Hope this helps!

don't use a blower brush!

you can get air blowers... you put the camera in sensor cleaning mode (locking the mirror up) and then aim the nozle at the sensor from a short (but not too short) distance away and then squeeze so it blows the dust away.

easy. done it a few times now.

for anything more problematic then take it to a shop.

don't put any liquid on the sensor.

PS: oystercatchers aplenty today in Cramond

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I was thinking compressed air. I'll drop into the camera shop and get a can.

Not keen on just using a shop Melvil, never know what they do with it and I once buggered a mirror trying to clean it with liquid.

Get any pics then Laurence?

Crackle said:
I'll drop into the camera shop and get a can.

Not keen on just using a shop Melvil, never know what they do with it and I once buggered a mirror trying to clean it with liquid.

Get any pics then Laurence?

Best to steer clear of canned air. See here...
I think I ruined my D70s - now what? http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=27210194&page=1
(was reading this the other day)

One comment
Oh my..... never, NEVER, ever, EVER used canned air on camera equipment!!!
or this...
Against all good advice I used to use canned air for blowing the dust in my D50. It will probably go well for a number of times, but the last time I used it I dropped the can and without testing, I used it on the sensor. Result: lots of droplets that even seemed a bit sticky. This happened just as I heard that there was a very good opportunity to shoot a barn owl, that I considered a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Andy

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thanks Andy. I've used canned air that did that on a negative.

Firstly, it has to be for cameras, different propellant apparently, you have to shake it, give it a blast into space and don't use it when the tin is nearly empty and don't tilt the can.

But yes I am slightly nervous about doing it.

You know I think it was dpreview I saw the sensor cleaning kit advertised on. That or luminous landscape.

Might go and have a look again.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm glad ive seen this post...
I have some canned air for my RC nitro truck, and was never aware of any residue coming from it. But it was an expensive variety...perhaps thats why some people appear to get away with it...
When that time comes for my camera...i wont risk using canned air.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I had the same thing with my D100. I spent ages researching the best options and the pros and cons of the different methods.

Nikon UK wanted IRO £40.00 just to give a quote :wacko:

I did it myself in the end, I'm lucky enough to work in a lab and so did it with purified compressed helium which worked a treat.

Do you know anyone with access to gas cylinders who could do that? I'd willingly do it for you but I've never heard of Ardnamurchan so I assume its none too close to me.

bobbyp

I use things called sensor-swabs if I really need to shift something that a blower won't shift. Don't waste your time with blower brushes, they don't squirt out enough air. Got a Giottos Rocket, put the camera in cleaning mode, squirt the rocket away from the camera a few times to clear any dust in it and then squirt it onto the sensor. Hopefully this will sort your problem.

To check set the camera to F32 or something equally small and take a picture of a white surface. Stuff on the sensor will show up clearly.

If its still there get some sensor swabs or take it into a shop. The first time cleaning a sensor is very scary but I've not ruined a camera yet.

Easy alternative, leave the dirt on the sensor, avoid small aperatures and if anything does show up use the healing brush in photoshop.

Rob S

I've not cleaned my sensor at all yet and I've had my D70 about 3 years, I've taken pics of the sky to check for dust and there is some there but not overly noticeable. Although you are not touching the actual sensor but an anti-aliasing filter it still doesn't help the nerves when you are dabbing it with swabs.

Also, make sure you clear the dust from the whole area, the lens mount area, the mirror box etc...there's no point in blowing it off the sensor and leaving it in the area as it'l get blown back on in no time.

Top Bottom