Anyone converted from 2x11 to a 1x12?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Could it be there is something more fundamentally wrong with the bike? Perhaps something not aligned correctly with the frame or the press fit bracket?
I don’t really know what I’m talking about but I do know this bike ain’t as sweet to ride as it should be and I’m getting fed up with it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I don't know if it has been suggested before, and can't be bothered to go through the whole thread, but have you had the derailleur hanger checked for alignment?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I don't know if it has been suggested before, and can't be bothered to go through the whole thread, but have you had the derailleur hanger checked for alignment?

Hi, I’m not sure but the LBS have set the whole thing up from scratch so I could assume they did the derailleur hanger check then?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi, I’m not sure but the LBS have set i the whole thing up from scratch so I could assume they did the derailleur hanger check then?
Right. I've gone back over the whole thread and have a couple of questions.

Are you aware the 105 7000 has trim function on the front shifter?
Do you understand how to use it?

I bought a bike with 105 a few years ago and the dealer set it up perfectly, but forgot to tell me about the trim, so I ended up back there after 200 miles complaining about the rubbing sounds in certain gears.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I bought a bike with 105 a few years ago and the dealer set it up perfectly, but forgot to tell me about the trim, so I ended up back there after 200 miles complaining about the rubbing sounds in certain gears.

Thanks for trying to help.
Yes I do know and it makes little difference, some but not enough.

I have just got back from a ride though, and have noticed that the crank has at least 3mm of side to side movement if I pull it in and out from either side. Surely that can’t be right? I’m taking about the shaft that goes through the (press fit) bracket not the crank arms.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Oh and as to whether I’m using the trim correctly? Maybe I’m not, I’ll read up on it again to be sure.
Isn’t it just a half push on the shifter?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not had any experience with press fit, but there shouldn't be any play at all. Don't think this would be the cause of the noise problems, but worth getting it looked at anyhow.

Gunk

Guru
Thanks for trying to help.
Yes I do know and it makes little difference, some but not enough.

I have just got back from a ride though, and have noticed that the crank has at least 3mm of side to side movement if I pull it in and out from either side. Surely that can’t be right? I’m taking about the shaft that goes through the (press fit) bracket not the crank arms.

so how has you LBS missed that then?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Not had any experience with press fit, but there shouldn't be any play at all. Don't think this would be the cause of the noise problems, but worth getting it looked at anyhow.

I wondered if it was the cause, albeit indirectly?
If the crank shaft is moving from side to side then surely that will push or pull the chain side to side and sometimes make it touch the front derailleur guide, thereby causing noise?
I have noticed that sometimes it will make noises after a bump in the road, and sometimes the noise quietens after a bump or a short burst of more energetic pedalling.
I mean, if the noise is from the chain sometimes catching on the FDR guide, then a 3mm side to side movement could easily upset the finely set tolerances couldn’t it?
As I said, I don’t really know what I’m talking about, just applying what seems like logic to me.
Thank for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

Now, should I take it back to the LBS? I’m considering escalating this now as I’m not convinced all is as it should be with the BB etc.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Interestingly I have 105 R7000. When I got it I carefully read the instructions about trim, but I've never managed to transfer that knowledge into actually using it and understanding what's going on. I just change up, or change down. And nothing rubs unless I do fully cross-chain, and even then only slightly.

Next ride I'll re-read the trim instructions to see if I can figure out whether it's worthwhile knowing. TBH I spend 80% of my time in the little ring anyway.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Well I have now spoken to the LBS and they were very clear that this side to side movement of 3mm was (quote) ‘3mm too much’.
So it looks like it’s going back to them to sort out what’s going on.
It may be an adjustment or it may be something else but it’s under warranty.
I am inclined to push for either a replacement bike or a full change of BB and conversion to a 1x (all under warranty) if they can’t sort it to my satisfaction. That may be pushing it but I’m just about fed up enough to pick that fight.
Anyone else had a bike either replaced or modified under warranty?

Gunk

Guru
Well I have now spoken to the LBS and they were very clear that this side to side movement of 3mm was (quote) ‘3mm too much’.
So it looks like it’s going back to them to sort out what’s going on.
It may be an adjustment or it may be something else but it’s under warranty.
I am inclined to push for either a replacement bike or a full change of BB and conversion to a 1x (all under warranty) if they can’t sort it to my satisfaction. That may be pushing it but I’m just about fed up enough to pick that fight.
Anyone else had a bike either replaced or modified under warranty?

If you can prove it was like that when you collected it, then under the sale of goods act you could argue that it was not if merchantable quality

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

So today I took it, by prior arrangement to the LBS.
The side to side play on the crank/BB was confirmed.
Attempts to tighten it proved unsuccessful, so they replaced existing the FSA BB for a new Shimano 105 replacement (the original wasn’t Shimano). That seems to have sorted the play on the BB, although we don’t know how it got that way as they were adamant it wasn’t like that when they checked it before I collected it the last time.
They have re-set the gears and front mech, as the trim wasn’t really working but is now after they adjusted the cable tension. To be fair they replaced the cables for Shimano cables the last time as the ones on the bike were potentially sticking, especially the rear DR cable where it bent quiet acutely as it fed to the rear DR. So they would have needed tightening after bedding in anyway.
They suggested swapping the existing FSA chain for a Shimano chain might quieten things further although not significantly and not worth the expense when the existing chain was fine, even if it wasn’t specifically made for the Shimano mechs. I’ll probably upgrade when this one’s in need of replacement.
I’ll try and take it for a ride tomorrow so will let anyone who is interested know how it goes.
I’d still like a conversion to 1x but if this truly resolves things the urgency will be removed.
Watch this space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom