Anyone converted from 2x11 to a 1x12?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Hi guys, hope you're all well and not getting too wet and soggy?

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I have a Giant Fastroad Advanced 1, with a Shimano 2x11 -105 front and rear gear set.
Despite the bike now being all set up correctly, I am still (and suspect always will be) struggling to get on with all the farting about with the front mech/rear mech combo's, and cross chain etc, so I'm currently toying with the idea of having the 105 set up replaced with a 1x12 set up. I appreciate it's not always straight forward and may involve more than just swapping over but it can be done and I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has either performed the modification or has ridden both on the same bike to compare?
I'm not interested in breaking any speed records and won't be riding in a club or group. I mainly want an easy, hassle free ride, to get up (mainly spinning rather than grinding) most if not all reasonable hills that I'm likely to encounter in an average ride around rural country lanes, just outside Derby, (not counting extreme peak district or mountain pass climbs of course).
As long as I'm OK with that, I'm happy to freewheel down steep hills, rather than powering down them, so won't need extreme low gears.

My LBS has said they could perhaps do it for around £400-£500 but it depends on what set up I want.

Anyone?

All uphill

Still rolling along
As an idea why not change to 1x11, with a chainset that gives you the range you want?

That way you don't need to change your shifters.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

As an idea why not change to 1x11, with a chainset that gives you the range you want?

That way you don't need to change your shifters.

Thanks, I’m certainly open to that.
I’ve not fixed or set ideas on details yet, its only an idea right now, but one that I’ll likely want to do at some point, either sooner or later.

Sharky

Guru
I've taken the front changer mech off two of my bikes. Replaced the two rings at the front with a single 40t, narrow/wide ring and resized the chain by taking out a link or two.

So only costs needed are for a new chain ring and a new set of chain ring bolts.

The chain runs smoothly across all 10 gears. And to move up/down the ratios, just a single click, rather than a shuffle moving the front up and the rear down.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I've taken the front changer mech off two of my bikes. Replaced the two rings at the front with a single 40t, narrow/wide ring and resized the chain by taking out a link or two.

So only costs needed are for a new chain ring and a new set of chain ring bolts.

The chain runs smoothly across all 10 gears. And to move up/down the ratios, just a single click, rather than a shuffle moving the front up and the rear down.

Interesting...would this work with an 11 gear cassette?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Can't see why not and can't be more than £50.

So, would doing this (and keeping my existing 105 11 speed rear cassette) give me the same gear ratios I'd get from a purpose built 1x11 set up?
Or would there be a compromise on this, for example on hills?

All uphill

Still rolling along
So, would doing this (and keeping my existing 105 11 speed rear cassette) give me the same gear ratios I'd get from a purpose built 1x11 set up?
Or would there be a compromise on this, for example on hills?

That would depend on the size of the ring you choose up front.

This is probably a good time to get used to the idea of gear inches and use an on line calculator to work out what is best for you.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

That would depend on the size of the ring you choose up front.

This is probably a good time to get used to the idea of gear inches and use an on line calculator to work out what is best for you.

Thanks but I have no idea what all that means or how to even start with it?
I'll have a Google.

GuyBoden

Guru
Decide what gears you currently use and will need for your rides.

Then calculate getting these same gear ratios with a 1x:
https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

You might need a Dog Fang to stop the chain coming off.

m-wave-anti-chain-drop-clamp.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Google Bikecalc for gear tables.
Or, multiply wheel size x chainring teeth, divided by sprocket size.

For wheel size, just use 27, approx the same as a 700 metric size.

Thus 27x50/14 gives a 96" gear. This equates to the theoretical diameter of a Penny Farthing wheel.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Oh dear, this all sounds terribly confusing and more hassle than I personally want. I'll likely just get the LBS to do it all nd advise me accordingly.

Top Bottom