Converted van - repair costs and selling query.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had an estimate for a turbo failure on a vivaro van, 1.6l 115bhp engine sportive model, 16 plate. We had a conversion company line out, put in windows, pop top roof, rock n roll bed, diesel heater, split charge to leisure battery, LEDs, USB sockets and a separate direct power supply to double socket. Basically everything but storage and kitchen.

The repair needed, apparently, is a new turbo, oil pump and oil filter (need to confirm exact reason for failure). Total cost given was north of £1600. Including VAT!

Is this a realistic cost for the repair, labour, parts and VAT?

Also, once repaired we're thinking of selling it. Anyone know what the market for such a partn conversion might be? We've not been using it as a camper of late. It's our only motorised vehicular so it's hard as a car basically. We haven't had the use of it that we expected, plus our now 11 year old isn't into camping these days. This means keep or sell and get a cheaper runaround is a serious question we have to make.

Anyone with advice or opinions on either of these two matters? Sell and repair bill that is.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ do you mean a 16 plate?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes that sounds reasonable at today's prices. To put in perspective, I had a new flywheel and cluth kit on my Passat a couple years ago, that was £1100 inc VAT. Then last year it was 3 tyres, ABS sensor and another small thing I forgoet, that was another grand.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I had a customer who had the same problem on a Vivaro. Seem to remember about £1500, and that was a few years ago.
If you're handy with the spanners there are plenty of videos on YouTube. Doesn't look too arduous. Mainly labour I imagine.

tom73

Guru
I'd stay well clear of that site it's the daily mail on speed , it's full of hate. Very hostile to anyone with a converted van.
What ever you do don't say you cycle boy do do the knuckle draggers come out.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
To me that seems a lot, but I've been away from the trade for a long time now and prices only ever go up.

Not familiar with the model but in principal the turbo should be relatively accessible, although they can be tight in an FWD format with the manifold at the back adjacent to the bulkhead; plus they can be a pig to get off due to corrosion of fixings and pipework. Equally I'd expect the oil pump to be accessible from underneath by dropping the sump, but again not familiar with the model.

It may be that if both parts are a pain to get to they'll opt to have the engine and box out which may add time but should make the job easier.

It's possible that they want to replace the bits they do because the oil pump has failed and that's killed the turbo. If the turbo's been starved it's probably just knackered its bearings, however as suggested if they really lunch it this can damage the engine if bits of the impellor have made their way into the cylinders - I trust the garage didn't give much more info..? Have you used them before? Are they trustworthy?

Not going to go through the whole process but you should be able to some idea of cost legtimacy by looking at the replacement parts from a reputable source and dividing what's left on the quote by a typical independent hourly rate of maybe £50-60/hr. Even accounting for 12hrs labour at £60/hr (£720) the remaining £900-odd seems a lot for a turbo and oil pump..

Jody

Stubborn git
£1600 sounds a little excessive but not sure of the oil pump cost.

It's not far off guiven the currently labour/parts prices

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Could be a twin turbo on the 1.6

Sounds interesting although I bet they don't last well too well; 160bhp from a 1.6 Diesel must be running some pretty significant boost.

All looks pretty impressive on paper and quite nicely executed though:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
Oddly, they also do a 118bhp twin. We don't get many calls for them so assume they are holding up OK.

A lot of manufacturers have gone twin turbo and BMW now also offer a tripple turbo setup for when you really want relieving of your hard earned savings

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Not a biturbo model so probably in the £400 bracket for the turbo when I first looked. Oil pump I'm not sure but my partner looked and came up with £500. There's the oil filter too but that's not a big cost.

The garage we've used before and it was recommended by a few locals. It's the sort of place taxi drivers go to and their whole business model is about repeat custom and recommendations. They're tucked away behind a small village. You'd not find it unless you were looking for it. They seem fair, efficient and reliable, plus very, very busy! I think we get slipped in the schedule too.

The garage just said turbo, oil pump and filter. He did say it's hard to access the parts. He'd have to take the sub-structure out to access the parts, if I heard him right. He said it's a good day's work, at least.

Looking up average garage rates, Cumbria is about mid range, i think I read £68 is the average rate. If the parts are as above then that leaves £700 for labour or 10.3 hours. Of course the estimate includes VAT, which I'm not sure the parts estimates do, probably do but not sure.

I don't think things are too far from what I'd expect tbh. I've seen the turbo and it doesn't look that easy to get out, no idea of where the oil pump is. I think it sounds a reasonable estimate, but not one I wanted ti get! Bread and water time I think!

Top Bottom