Converted van - repair costs and selling query.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I have 2016 Renault version of this van 125bhp, twin turbo is OK & just over 40mpg.
I had to get a couple of injectors changed, that was circa £ 1,800.00.

Lucky they came out. Replacing injectors is a nightmare with this engine type.

Jody

Stubborn git
@Time Waster Given £900 in parts, £1600 doesn't sound far off the mark.

Oil pump is in the sump so that'll be a good few hours on it's own

newts

Veteran
Lucky they came out. Replacing injectors is a nightmare with this engine type.

The mechanic (independant garage) suggested we only change the 2 that were showing faults to reduce the chances of snapping during removal. We had to wait weeks to get them, no stock in the UK at the time.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Oddly, they also do a 118bhp twin. We don't get many calls for them so assume they are holding up OK.

A lot of manufacturers have gone twin turbo and BMW now also offer a tripple turbo setup for when you really want relieving of your hard earned savings

lol - yeah; that sounds eyewatering!

It's funny, way back when I was learning about such things small displacement, forced-induction engines with multiple serial or parallel blowers seemed like a great idea for efficiency. Since the industry has gone this way however, it's laid bare the drawbacks in terms of cost, complexity and service life.

After all that I'm not sure I'd want anything other than a plain vanilla NA petrol engine..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't believe a GM oil pump would be £400, so I had a look on eBay and found one for £116.
Even allowing for main dealer prices can't be a lot more than that.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Can't believe a GM oil pump would be £400, so I had a look on eBay and found one for £116.
Even allowing for main dealer prices can't be a lot more than that.

She probably had the wrong details on the van. I'll look myself but there can be wildly varying prices. I saw £350 - 750 range for the turbo even when searched with reg plate on the websites.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Pump as low as £80, turbo as low as £300 if you return the old one or add £160 if no return.

Now I'm wondering where the estimated cost comes from. Say £450 for the turbo plus £150 for the pump and filter you're on £600 parts the mechanic mentioned in the estimate. £1000 labour charge or just shy of 15 hours. Hmmm! Oh well they've been told to go with it. Forgot to mention mot as well but that's not much.

Jameshow

Veteran
Sounds interesting although I bet they don't last well too well; 160bhp from a 1.6 Diesel must be running some pretty significant boost.

All looks pretty impressive on paper and quite nicely executed though:

View attachment 724330

Thats not far off Scoobie levels a couple of decades ago!

These little country garages often have alot of repeat customer from older folk who like the convenience and service and don't worry about a little extra.

wafter

Thats not far off Scoobie levels a couple of decades ago!

These little country garages often have alot of repeat customer from older folk who like the convenience and service and don't worry about a little extra.

Yeah, 100bhp/litre was FI performance petrol territory 2-3 decades ago.

Cost is only one part of the equation though; I'm all for small outfits but as with anything else some are more trustworthy than others; in terms of their knowledge / workmanship and scruples..

wafter

If you want to see some horrors look at this (it's US so you need to make some allowances) :

View: https://youtu.be/nTlylt-qQdA?si=3fBpNeUlM15I5X_x

Crikey - those are some horrors indeed!

I really miss having the ability to do most work myself, and tbh I reckon most garages are untrustworthy to some degree. I'm lucky enough to have apparently found two decent ones in the area, while there's less anxiety attached to the current shed as it's tatty and pretty much boyond redemption..

Top Bottom