Anyone cook pasta in the microwave ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Reminds me of the time one of my friends was demonstrating how to make boiled potatoes in the (amazing) microwave.... what a palaver! Fifteen minutes of in-out shake it all about as opposed to 15-20 minutes of leave 'em in a pan of boiling water. I, of course, steam rather than boil.

also amazing/stupefying is the range of wonder implements you can buy to do this that whatever in a microwave - a whole cupoard of clutter in homage to the space saving wonder.

Indeed. Only yesterday we were in Lakeland, where a lovely lady was demonstrating a gadget to allow you to make toasted sandwiches in a microwave
i have in the past wandered in lakeland - a mixture of the impressive and plain bonkers. I do seriously worry about its more dedicated shoppers. And their relationships - horrible visions of shopper returning to a sterile home with a mad glint in their eye and telling the poor quietly desperate partner about the new wonder device/presentation wotsits that will just transform their kitchen and lives.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have yet to find anything that's quicker or less hassle to do in a microwave. Warming milk for coffee, possibly, but even that's marginal.
Heating up baked beans. Quicker than a pan but the down side is that you don't end up with that slight 'mush' to the beans that you get with a long pan warming. Also soup - you can heat it up in the bowl it will be served in. That's pretty much all we use the microwave for, along with occasionally softening butter for use in recipes - but that is very hit and miss.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The only thing i use a pop di ping for is for soften things up like butter or a slow defrost of chicken thighs etc etc for curry...........no way i be cooking food in one

Porridge, boiling milk for coffee. Softening butter and (rarely) defrosting. Jacket spuds but followed by 30 mins in hot oven to crisp the skins (still better than 2 hours in the oven).

Milk and porridge both easier to clean the cooking vessel than stovetop method

oldwheels

Legendary Member
i have in the past wandered in lakeland - a mixture of the impressive and plain bonkers. I do seriously worry about its more dedicated shoppers. And their relationships - horrible visions of shopper returning to a sterile home with a mad glint in their eye and telling the poor quietly desperate partner about the new wonder device/presentation wotsits that will just transform their kitchen and lives.
Lakeland does have a lot of gadgets looking for a use but they do have Remoska cookers where the heat comes from the top.
Mine is in constant use.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
why's that then? Still cooked/heated?
If you make porridge with water, just leave pan to soak for a while (once cooled) - and lots of the gunk floats off - rest easy to clean.
I make porridge every morning in the microwave with water and pinhead oatmeal. You need to get the right size of bowl to stop boiling over and it takes 5 minutes. Eaten from the same bowl. Easy.

Lakeland does have a lot of gadgets looking for a use but they do have Remoska cookers where the heat comes from the top.
Mine is in constant use.
I've met the woman who first brought those into the UK for them. Mum of old (we lost touch) mate of mine. I well remember him telling me about the old Czech wonder - first I'd ever heard of them. They used to be way cheaper I think - and am pretty sure they probably cost sod all in communist Czechoslovakia.

edit - isn't the heating bit something like a kettle element? When that burns out - surely will - can you get spares easily and economically?

feel free to sing its praises with info on what you do with it/what cook.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've met the woman who first brought those into the UK for them. Mum of old (we lost touch) mate of mine. I well remember him telling me about the old Czech wonder - first I'd ever heard of them. They used to be way cheaper I think - and am pretty sure they probably cost sod all in communist Czechoslovakia.

edit - isn't the heating bit something like a kettle element? When that burns out - surely will - can you get spares easily and economically?

feel free to sing its praises with info on what you do with it/what cook.
Never had to buy spares so cannot answer that.
The one I have is our second one as the first was I thought a bit primitive and then my wife who had Parkinsons and was often a bit confused immersed the lid in water. Even after drying it out it was still not right so got dumped.
I have not tried to make soup in it but virtually everything else can be done tho' I do vary what I do just to add interest. It does good stews, fry ups apart from eggs which it is not good for, heating pizza, baking, grilling, fish particularly mackerel fillets with a coating of curry powder or pesto. Not done that latter for a while as I have not been out fishing for over a year now.
If pushed I could live without a cooker or microwave and just the Remoska. They are very popular with people who have caravans or motorhome/campers and use sites with electricity.

Top Bottom