Anyone cook pasta in the microwave ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I didn't know it could be done until I just read a google thingy.
I have always done it in the pan but the micro looks to be a good method.
Well at least you've remembered who you are. In a word, no. Looks too much hassle, easy enough in a pan. Once it's cooked, stir in the sauce, saves another pan to was up as well.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
  • Ignore packet instructions.
  • Put pasta in a deep Pyrex dish with a lid.
  • Submerge the pasta with boiling water to a depth of 5cm leaving at least 5cm of freeboard above the water level.
  • Simmer in the microwave on medium power for 10 minutes (±to taste).
  • Drain and serve at table in the Pyrex dish. No saucepans to wash up.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I didn't know it could be done until I just read a google thingy.
I have always done it in the pan but the micro looks to be a good method.

• Submerge the pasta with boiling water to a depth of 5cm leaving at least 5cm of freeboard above the water level.
:eek::eek::eek::eek: :wacko::stop:

The above are a recipe for overcooked/undercooked pasta: how do you check if it's ready?
There is also the potential of a mega boiling water incident imo.
Just don't do it!

Profpointy

Legendary Member

You have exactly the same amount of washing up - one pyrex bowl as opposed to one saucepan surely?

cheys03

Veteran
I don’t, but will try it now!
I do cook rice in the microwave though - 2 parts water to 1 part rice. Pyrex dish with lid, 8mins at 800w for 30g (one repurposed whey protein scoop) uncooked rice.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
You have exactly the same amount of washing up - one pyrex bowl as opposed to one saucepan surely?
...and you've boiled a kettle, more energy used, can't see the point.

Just cos something can be done doesn't mean you should.

Short pasts (ie Penne and the like, not spaghetti) can be cooked by just leaving it in a covered pan of boiled water (maybe just a bit of extra heat/boiling at the end) if you aren't in a terrible hurry. Many campers use it, especially with an insulated pan.

As long as it's still al dente no problem.

Italians often recommend, more than recommend, chucking in a hell of a lot of salt.

Not me.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
:eek::eek::eek::eek: :wacko::stop:

The above are a recipe for overcooked/undercooked pasta: how do you check if it's ready?
There is also the potential of a mega boiling water incident imo.
Just don't do it!
Know your pasta, know your microwave, measure accurately, experiment with timing, implement your results. How else does one cook?^_^

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Know your pasta, know your microwave, measure accurately, experiment with timing, implement your results. How else does one cook?^_^
properly!:laugh:

Live and let live I say.

My mum uses her MW a lot, she asked when I was cooking bacon if I wanted her to show me how do it in the MW. Its almost as good she said! I had to tell her no I will use a frying pan as it was both quicker and better!

Pasta I make the sauce in the frying pan or wok depending on how many people, cook the pasta in salted water in a pan and then chuck the pasta into the sauce with tongs or slotted spoon when its al dente, and then you still have the pasta water to loosen the sauce if needed.

The pasta pan barely needs washing, and the hot water in it can be chucked into the empty frying pan to soak whilst one enjoys perfect pasta!

Top Bottom