Anyone do basket weaving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
Hiya all,

I want to start making baskets, but I'm having trouble sourcing basket weaving kits in the UK. Has anyone got any ideas, craft shops etc that I may be able to go to? :sad:

purplepolly

fred aldous, they're in manchester near piccadilly station

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/shop-online/cane-work.htm

Arch

Married to Night Train
Does Jim still live on the boat next to Steve the Boat? I think he used to do willow weaving - not quite the same, but he might have an an idea of suppliers for basket willow....

Dryad, Leicester, are the people who make craft kits, including baskets I think, but a quick google doesn't seem to find them...

wafflycat said:
I'd love to go on a basket weaving course. Hmm...

I had similar thoughts....

pencils.jpg

Try obtaining some step by step photo lessons fom google. Then rather than buying expensive basket wicker, try you first attempts with green willow whips, and bramble runners taken from waste ground, etc.

You can rub all of the thorns from the bramble runners by pulling them through your fist whilst wearing a good stout pair of leather gardening gloves or an old pair of welders gloves.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I'm a basket case ...

mr Mag00

rising member
start with rush, excellent and essy to use, ui was part of project here in dorset for a while, vbery esasy to pickup, and v easy on the hands

rich p

ridiculous old lush
mr Mag00 said:
start with rush, excellent and essy to use, ui was part of project here in dorset for a while, vbery esasy to pickup, and v easy on the hands

You are Stanley Unwin AICMFP;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
purplepolly said:
My dad went on one. Strangely appropriate.

I learned how to basket weave in junior school and became quite adept at it. I used pre-drilled wooden bases and rattan cane to make a range of wares including tea trays, flower baskets and flowerpot holders. It is a very soothing and absorbing activity and easy to master.

The only tools that you'll need are round nosed pliers and side cutters.

Weaving with willow is a different kettle of fish....

Arch

Married to Night Train
gromit, you have email about this. I saw some stunning basketwork sculptures today, done by a chap who too it up after he retired.

Top Bottom