Anyone done 'Couch to 5k'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Mate of mine did Ironman and was broken by it, certainly not for the faint hearted
I am a good example of a fat middle aged lump who did little or no exercise. Got back into cycling 14 years ago. Lost a load of weight which has stayed off. About 10 years ago did C25k and it worked a treat. My policy is never run 2 days in a row, in fact I do a couple of 5k runs a week no more. Unless I am training for Ironman (on my 4th this year) when I do one long run and one short one.

Triathlon has the major benefit of spreading the load around the body.

In summary C25K is great.

mustang1

Guru
I started it but gave up after third attempt not because the programme is not good, but because of the reason why I needed to be on this programme in the first place: very little time.

I'm gonna try again soon.

stephec

Legendary Member
If you think your knees might be even slightly dodgy then it's worth paying a physio to advise you on strengthening and stretching exercises before you get going.

I started about eighteen months ago on my running club's beginners session, I completed that and then a few months later had to have four months off with a bad knee, lesson learnt the hard way.

You'll probably be doing this, but I'll say it anyway, make sure you get fitted properly for shoes at a shop that comes recommended by local runners, might be worth looking at a running forum for that advice.

jay clock

Massive member
I started it but gave up after third attempt not because the programme is not good, but because of the reason why I needed to be on this programme in the first place: very little time.

I'm gonna try again soon.
Your reasons are quite possibly genuine, but for many it is lack of really wanting to get fit/lose weight etc. Loads of my colleagues tell me they don't have time. But they know the latest plot from Corrie, or are good friends with Mr P Grigio and Mrs C Sauvignon. The same ones can't afford a bike but can afford some huge Sky package..

mustang1

Guru
Your reasons are quite possibly genuine, but for many it is lack of really wanting to get fit/lose weight etc. Loads of my colleagues tell me they don't have time. But they know the latest plot from Corrie, or are good friends with Mr P Grigio and Mrs C Sauvignon. The same ones can't afford a bike but can afford some huge Sky package..
You are right. It's not just lack of time, it's also excuses and laziness. The times unused to go running was either early morning or late evening but then I realized I was losing sleep.

I'll give it another shot but be more mindful of the laziness element. Thanks for the tip!

jay clock

Massive member
You are right. It's not just lack of time, it's also excuses and laziness. The times unused to go running was either early morning or late evening but then I realized I was losing sleep.

I'll give it another shot but be more mindful of the laziness element. Thanks for the tip!
I was trying to be polite! You may have had a sick relative to care for! If you want to do the fitness stuff it has to become part of your routine. For me it helps that I belong to a Tri club where I have made a load of friends

I haven't done the formal couch to 5k, but a similar getting started from The Runners Handbook. It's a great way to get started.

A friend who is recovering from back surgery is using a similar walk/run regime to get back to running 5ks. Seems to be working for her, too.

Big Andy

Über Member
I completed C25K about a year ago, what a fantastic program, I now usually run 5k 3 times a week, lost 2 stone in the 9 weeks of the program, gait analysis and a decent pair of running shoes are a very good idea but i would suggest get in tot he program a few weeks first. Biggest tip I could give is run slowly then go slower!! Completely forget about distance it's time running you are building up, don't worry if at week 9 if you are still not running 5k as long as you get to running for 30 minutes 3 times a week the plan has worked! Should be called C230M3XW really but it doesn't quite roll of the tongue as well.

I completed C25K about a year ago, what a fantastic program, I now usually run 5k 3 times a week, lost 2 stone in the 9 weeks of the program, gait analysis and a decent pair of running shoes are a very good idea but i would suggest get in tot he program a few weeks first. Biggest tip I could give is run slowly then go slower!! Completely forget about distance it's time running you are building up, don't worry if at week 9 if you are still not running 5k as long as you get to running for 30 minutes 3 times a week the plan has worked! Should be called C230M3XW really but it doesn't quite roll of the tongue as well.
Agreed entirely.

A 30 minute 5k after 9 weeks for the people that c25k is aimed at, is pretty good going.

Sandra6

Veteran
I've tried a couple of times, but can't get passed running a mile.
My favourite beginner's running ap is the zombie run though. You are a survivor and meet other survivors and get sent on missions, the zombies you encounter get faster as you progress. The story telling and run instructions are coupled with your own play list - I had "its the end of the world" "welcome to the jungle" and " run away" on mine :-)
Before setting off make sure you get a decent pair of trainers.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
What about park run @User ?

Milton
Wimpole
Brandon

A friend of mile who is as fit as a butchers dog is one of the back markers on the Brandon park run. They get all sorts there. At the front I think it's quite competitive, but at the back it's quite supportive. I think there's quite a social aspect to it too.

U

User19783

On our park runs, there's a couple who just walk :okay:
I highly recommend just turned up and enjoy.

potsy

Rambler
Sorry for the thread resurrection but I have just downloaded the c25k app and intend to give it a go soon.
A friend of mine is quite far into hers and has recommended it to me, I feel like I need to lose a few more kg before starting mine though.
Having never been a runner, but attempted and failed a few times over the years I don't know how far I'll get but will give it a go ^_^

Just need to get some half decent running shoes now.

Top Bottom