Anyone done Lejog/Jogle in winter ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Go for chaps or lasses, lifes for living. If you spend too much time thinking about consequences then nobody would do anything. Like the saying goes just get out and ride.
I you have time on your side you could start at 9 and ride till 3 and then chill. I personally don't let anything put me off. Anything is possible to a willing mind.
Pat

A gung ho attitude is fine if you have the equipment to support the ride. Even with the correct equipment I doubt that many folk would find a winter LEJOG enjoyable.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
... and "only" doing 2-hour stints, taking turns, if I remember correctly.
Some of the thawing-out looked rather painful!

But then I am a cold-weather wuss :cold: :blush:

T

They only did 2hr stints, but their support riders were doing longer ones iirc.

hubbike

I did it in march 2008. I have just cycled across France in December.

Go for it!

Winter Tips:

1. Layering. several good fleeces. A good selection of gloves of different thickness and mittens, ideal for adjusting your temperature. Thin fleece hats that go under your helmet...dress warmer when you go downhill.

2. Lights. It gets dark sooner and can be murky in the day.

3. Service the bike. if you have to fiddle with things or fix a puncture outside, your hands will get very cold...

4. Eat in pubs: they're warm.

HelenD123

Guru
1. Layering. several good fleeces. A good selection of gloves of different thickness and mittens, ideal for adjusting your temperature. Thin fleece hats that go under your helmet...dress warmer when you go downhill.

I find the cold and wind goes straight through fleece. It needs a windproof layer on top.

GoForIt

Winter JOGLE attempts get so much negative coverage on this and other mesage boards I just wanted to add some balance to that view point. I'm 45yrs and reasonably fit although not a frequent cyclist (running and football being my thing) but I just completed JO'G to LE (950 miles), solo and unsupported, in 10.5 days starting 5th Jan 2013.

I had a great ride and finished a day earlier than I hap (very loosely) planned. Of course it was extremely cold but i only had 3 wet days and my desired weather system of a high over Scotland (bringing cold winds but from generally dry and from the north) sort of happened. Physically I coped well, the biggest problem being numb hands (from thw cold and gripping) and weeping eyes from the cold wind. I had no accomodation booked which really helped to optimise each days ride as I had no constraints when to stop (obviously I targetted places where there would be a choice as some places shut up for winter). I had to start early so as to keep the night riding to a maximum of an hour in the evening, this meant short stops only during the day but a massive dinner and breakfast meant i was rarely hungry.

Anyhow I just wanted to put the other side that you can a very safe, rewarding and enjoyable JOGLE ride in winter with a little planning and preparation

Thinking of it - Go For It !

PeakFarer49

Winter JOGLE attempts get so much negative coverage on this and other mesage boards I just wanted to add some balance to that view point. I'm 45yrs and reasonably fit although not a frequent cyclist (running and football being my thing) but I just completed JO'G to LE (950 miles), solo and unsupported, in 10.5 days starting 5th Jan 2013.

I had a great ride and finished a day earlier than I hap (very loosely) planned. Of course it was extremely cold but i only had 3 wet days and my desired weather system of a high over Scotland (bringing cold winds but from generally dry and from the north) sort of happened. Physically I coped well, the biggest problem being numb hands (from thw cold and gripping) and weeping eyes from the cold wind. I had no accomodation booked which really helped to optimise each days ride as I had no constraints when to stop (obviously I targetted places where there would be a choice as some places shut up for winter). I had to start early so as to keep the night riding to a maximum of an hour in the evening, this meant short stops only during the day but a massive dinner and breakfast meant i was rarely hungry.

Anyhow I just wanted to put the other side that you can a very safe, rewarding and enjoyable JOGLE ride in winter with a little planning and preparation

Thinking of it - Go For It !
If you want further inspiration, I recommend Rob Lilwall's book "Cycling Home From Siberia". He travelled by bike starting in Siberia through temperatures like -30C or -40C. After reading this book, I decided to be tooled up for all conditions so that I could cycle commute from Bradwell to Sheffield over the Ringinglow road at any time, although I do draw the line when snow and ice are at their worst. Simple things make a big difference, like Slime tubes to avoid puncture stops which are a nightmare in cold and/or wet conditions, and layers to don and shed as required - especially important with big hill climbs and descents as on my route to work. I also have Continental Top Contact winter tyres with clever grit-embedded compound. So yeah - do it! But pay close attention to your kit and to the weather forecast....

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Go for it but never underestimate the effect of constant cold driving wind and rain day after day..and be extra HI VIS. Drying out kit will be a daily chore after each ride when you are KO'd and just want to eat and sleep. Not for me this time of year.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
GoForIt. There was no doubt that it could be done and it sounds like you were fortunate with the weather. But I wonder if you would have enjoyed it more if the sun was out and you were warm.

I think it is a challenge enough as it is without adding more on top for the hell of it. But well done on your ride.

Steve

MarkF

Guru
Go for it!......................................................................a flight to Spain.

The Dec UK weather might be ok, or it might not, if it's not then it'll be an endurance test. You could cross Spain, heading south, similar time/distance. Will be cheaper too if you are staying in rooms.

Oddsquote

Just wondering if it's possible what with all the winter snow that scotland/northern England gets.

I would like to give it a try but it'll take a month or so of prep - which takes us into dec ! Is that too late ? Can it be done on minor -
Roads in winter ?

Anyone done it in winter ?

Thanks for any advice .

Kev.
Been planning this for ages. Having bought electric heat and foot warmers and being used to cycling with a lined jacket, using a modern GPS and light panniers on a light bike, I am set up, although accommodation outside towns is an anticipated unknown, since I am averse to carrying a tent on top of the change of clothing and charging equipment/bike back up and minor repair kit. Was under impression that most of Britain looks the same from the point of view of road quality, not like Cuba or Africa, but the likelihood of getting put up for the night in winter particularly with covid still around would not be much different, or would it?

Top Bottom