Anyone done the RSPB birdwatch this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
If anyone's close to OX27 and wants mine (I have probably 20kg or so of mixed seed) they are welcome to have it. Bring yer own sack!

We're prohibited from putting it out by Mummy since Woderwick the Wodent brought his extended family to live under the deck - and Mummy saw them scoffing the seed in broad daylight! You may have heard the shriek - in Caithness.

ETA
Seed's gone now :-)

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
Ah! Decking, the home of rodents everywhere.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I keep the sunflower seeds in their bag on a shelf in the garage. I scoop them out with an old one litre cycling water bottle to take to refill the feeder
Last week I overestimated and had some left in the bottle. So instead of putting the seeds back in the bag I put the lidless bottle next to the bag of seeds
Came back a few days later to repeat the process..only to find Mr Mouse stuck in the bottle. He'd climbed up, dropped in and couldn't get out. But he had an endless supply of food
Soft heart that I am, I just released him in the garage and threw a few seeds on the floor for him

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I keep the sunflower seeds in their bag on a shelf in the garage. I scoop them out with an old one litre cycling water bottle to take to refill the feeder
Last week I overestimated and had some left in the bottle. So instead of putting the seeds back in the bag I put the lidless bottle next to the bag of seeds
Came back a few days later to repeat the process..only to find Mr Mouse stuck in the bottle. He'd climbed up, dropped in and couldn't get out. But he had an endless supply of food
Soft heart that I am, I just released him in the garage and threw a few seeds on the floor for him
Eh? You assumed the fat little b'steward had actually been trying. He likely assumed that something awful had happened and he was in mousey heaven!

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m doing it now, but very little action in the garden. A fair few in the sky, including a couple of parakeets that landed a few doors up. I’m not sure my birding assistant is a great asset

Attachments

• 238C5BC4-7E93-4659-B87D-4DD50B230442.jpeg
    238C5BC4-7E93-4659-B87D-4DD50B230442.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 17

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Interesting how the species differ for us all

I have only seen starlings and house sparrows a couple of times in the garden over the years. However, Coal Tits are daily and Lesser Redpolls and Bullfinches are fairly regular. Haven't seen a Greenfinch for a couple of years too

Edit: just seen a Brambling in the garden, the first in about 18 years of watching

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeymustard
Interesting how the species differ for us all

I have only seen starlings and house sparrows a couple of times in the garden over the years. However, Coal Tits are daily and Lesser Redpolls and Bullfinches are fairly regular. Haven't seen a Greenfinch for a couple of years too

Edit: just seen a Brambling in the garden, the first in about 18 years of watching
Sparrows have a red Uk Conservation Status! We have a family that can be 20 or more by late summer, but there's only about 8 at the mo.
Almost the commonest birds in our garden are goldfinches, we see a bullfinch every day, while siskins, bramblings and greenfinches visit less regularly (very rarely see a chaffinch these days).
There are also times when the garden can be full of tits - sorry couldn't help myself!

Top Bottom